• 09/08/2020 RRTCR4: Magnificent Park | 16/08/2020 MEARS: Istanbul | 30/08/2020 RRTCR4: Highspeed Ring

Gran Turismo Sport (PlayStation 4)

Discussion about anything related to other racing games not covered by the forums above or racing games in general, including but not limited to hardware discussions, guides and the like.
PJTierney
Name: PJ Tierney
Car No: 45
Team: Goteki House
Wiki Page: PJ
Twitter: @PJ_Tierney

Gran Turismo Sport (PlayStation 4)

Postby PJTierney » 19 May 2016, 16:17

There's an event happening later today revealing various details about the game, but a trailer has shown up early. Game comes out in November:

0x

PJ Tierney
| Social Media Manager at Codemasters

Lotus Elise Anniversary Series - Drivers' & Teams' Champion
Mega GT World Tour - Drivers' & Teams' Champion
Miata Masters - Drivers' Champion
GT Super Sprint Series - Teams' Champion

287 Race Starts | 3 Drivers' Championships | 3 Teams' Championships | 2 Special Event Wins | 33 Race Wins

Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

craighypheno
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Craig Woollard
Car No: 86
Team: ByCraig Racing
Wiki Page: craighypheno
Steam ID: craighypheno
Twitter: Craig_Woollard

Re: Gran Turismo Sport (PlayStation 4)

Postby craighypheno » 19 May 2016, 18:14

Andrew Evans from GTPlanet has already had a go. You can check that account for more details.

0x

My Wiki Page | ByCraig Wiki Page

Best crash 2018. Best beard. Best RlyRism. Second-best dressed.

Craghypheno wrote:I don’t want a hug. I want three seconds a lap.

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 19 May 2016, 19:49

There's a live stream running now on GT's YouTube channel; they've been running an invitational tournament in London all evening.

From what I've seen, it basically looks like a slightly prettier GT6. Granted, it's still 6 months from release, and a lot of polishing is left to do. It's possible though, you shoudp have seen how iffy MGSV was at the same point before launch.

In any case, I liked everybothing about GT6 except for the actual driving. It wasn't bad per se, but clearly geared towards wheel users and the tuning options were rather exploitable.

I won't get a PS4 for this, but I do hope the Multiplayer focus bodes well not only for future titles but for what it can teach other racing developers.
0x

PJ Tierney

287 Race Starts | 3 Drivers' Championships | 3 Teams' Championships | 2 Special Event Wins | 33 Race Wins

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 19 May 2016, 19:53

Gran Turismo 4 Photo Mode DLC
1x

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 19 May 2016, 23:01

How on earth do they get away with it? Graphically it's not that much more advanced than the previous Gran Turismo, the features being introduced are 10+ years out of date, and I can't exactly comment without playing it, but the cars in the trailer and gameplay footage seem to move around like they're made out of jelly with the same mass as a cloud. Cars don't move like that! Project Cars may have felt pretty poor but at least the cars made realistic movements.

I don't understand how they keep failing to deliver the game that so many people have wanted for countless years now. I don't know why anyone, including me is surprised that this looks wank.
5x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 20 May 2016, 08:08

Just had a chance to watch the video in @PJTierney's OP.

Will there be any driving* or is it all just a photo app with lots of highly detailed locations that the dev team have spent time developing rather than a racing game?

*Yes, I know there were a few GT3/2/E cars driving around a very flat (texture-wise, not elevation-wise) the Nordschleife in a one-by-one formation, equidistant from each other... but that's what it looked like in Gran Turismo 4.
0x
Have fun.

TommyWTF1
Original 8
Car No: 33
Team: The Indypendables
Steam ID: TommyWTF1
Twitter: TommyWTF1

Postby TommyWTF1 » 20 May 2016, 08:23

ajokay wrote:Just had a chance to watch the video in @PJTierney's OP.

Will there be any driving* or is it all just a photo app with lots of highly detailed locations that the dev team have spent time developing rather than a racing game?

*Yes, I know there were a few GT3/2/E cars driving around a very flat (texture-wise, not elevation-wise) the Nordschleife in a one-by-one formation, equidistant from each other... but that's what it looked like in Gran Turismo 4.

Standard racing-game release video.

Pretty shots from the Nordschleife. Done.

Yawn.
1x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 20 May 2016, 09:00

That Alfa 4C GT3 looks nice though. I wonder if they've invented a few of their own to make up for the lack of licence for other GT cars.

Seriously though, all the driving footage looks exactly as it did in GT4. Things have moved on, which is why it makes perfect sense that the FIA are affiliated with them.
3x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 20 May 2016, 09:18

ajokay wrote:Will there be any driving* or is it all just a photo app with lots of highly detailed locations that the dev team have spent time developing rather than a racing game?

There was a live stream yesterday, archived below (1st race is 48 minutes in):

Eurogamer also put out a preview which seems on-point.

Perhaps it's because we've been spoilt by the splendour of Forza Motorsport, already into its second iteration on Xbox One, or Assetto Corsa, which is about to make its console debut later this summer. Gran Turismo Sport, however, looks, sounds and plays just like Gran Turismo 6 on the Playstation 3.

It's a compliment of sorts - Gran Turismo 6 is still, a few years and a generation later, an exceptionally handsome game, and Sport benefits from a solid foundation. Right now, though, it doesn't look to do much with that foundation - to an untrained eye (albeit one that's poured countless hours into Gran Turismo 6) it's hard to tell the difference.

That's the impression that it left with me too; other than the car models and a new UI, it looked to me like it was GT6, and not a shiny new title on PS4. Something about it just felt bland compared to what I am used to seeing from Forza Motorsport 6, and it looks like it takes itself far too seriously.
0x

PJ Tierney

HCR Noodle
Team: Happy Cat Racing
Wiki Page: ItsMeMario
Twitter: @HCR_Noodle

Postby HCR Noodle » 20 May 2016, 14:10

Nearly 19 years of development is obviously taking its toll. As mentioned, not much has changed since Gran Turismo 4, and a recent video I saw shows how poor some of these car models were in GT6 compared even to Forza Motorsport 2. No Standard cars in this game for once, but still lacking much of the content its competitors have been pouring out.

They've added vinyl editor and changed up the career again, calling the new features 'revolutionary', yet this has been a feature in racing games for over ten years. I'd prefer to call it 'evolutionary'. Another attempt at making a better version of GT4, another fail.

Four is becoming a magic number for racing games it seems. GT4, FM4 and PGR4 were all top of their respective time. Since then, Forza has come back despite missing much of the 360 content that made it so great, Gran Turismo has just developed the same game with not much change other than the beloved pixels, and Project Gotham, well... At least Bizarre didn't get to ruin it before they folded.

Rant Over.
1x

GremlinWon
Name: Thomas Alderton
Car No: 40
Steam ID: GremlinWon

Postby GremlinWon » 20 May 2016, 14:52

Who on earth thought that it would look good to chuck a load of GT3's around a oval for the very first race? Most of which are in GT6?
0x
ImageImage

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 20 May 2016, 17:28

pyjames91 wrote:How on earth do they get away with it? Graphically it's not that much more advanced than the previous Gran Turismo, the features being introduced are 10+ years out of date, and I can't exactly comment without playing it, but the cars in the trailer and gameplay footage seem to move around like they're made out of jelly with the same mass as a cloud. Cars don't move like that! Project Cars may have felt pretty poor but at least the cars made realistic movements.

I don't see any body roll at all in those cars either, not even the minute amount which is normal in GT3 cars. It's very reminiscent of GT6 in that regard, where none of the cars act like they're a big lump of mass moving and leaning around on a suspension system... Y'know, like cars are. :P
0x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 20 May 2016, 21:18

pyjames91 wrote:How on earth do they get away with it?

Brand loyalty sells games. I wouldn't be surprised if a million players buy the game purely because "it's the new Gran Turismo".

Back in the PlayStation 2 era I routinely bought Pro Evolution Soccer each year, even when there were very little changes year-on-year. Why? "It's the new PES, and I enjoyed the last one."

Forza Motorsport is in a similar situation currently, and Turn 10 is beginning to exploit it by focusing on content first and hardcore features last.
0x

PJ Tierney

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team
Name: Campbell Wallis
Car No: 64
Team: Kaibutsu Racing
Steam ID: camp_bell
Twitter: camp__bell

Postby camp_bell » 31 May 2016, 10:16

No dynamic weather because apparently current-gen consoles can't do what the previous-gen consoles could.
0x
"He's rolled the car at Dunlop. How has he managed that? I'm genuinely impressed."

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 31 May 2016, 11:03

Lin1876 wrote:No dynamic weather because apparently current-gen consoles can't do what the previous-gen consoles could.

They can handle it fine, Forza Horizon 2 proved that although it runs at 30fps. Gran Turismo 6 could handle it but it only ran at 720p and couldn't maintain 60fps for long (also, GT6's weather effects were pretty drab).

They can't handle it at 60fps though, not with a full grid of cars anyways (Project CARS tried and failed spectacularly on Xbox). In fact, Forza Motorsport 6 uses more aggressive LOD settings on assets than the previous game because it would struggle to maintain 60fps with a 24 car field otherwise (FM5 had 16 car fields).
0x

PJ Tierney

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team
Car No: 12
Team: The Indypendables

Postby Icthyes » 31 May 2016, 12:05

It never worked the way you wanted to anyway.
1x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 09 Oct 2017, 21:16

A certain @TomBrooks takes us through the cars of Gran Turismo Sport.

1x
Have fun.

Covamalia
Name: Ben Haddleton
Car No: 777
Team: Firecruiser Racing Team
Wiki Page: Covamalia
Steam ID: covamalia
Twitter: @bmgh85

Postby Covamalia » 01 Aug 2020, 21:14

I've just picked up a PS4 and this game for a charity event, a 24hr Virtual Le Mans raising funds for Macmillan. If anything was gonna bring me out of "retirement", it was gonna be something like this :lol:

Be fun to catch up with a few of you if youre about on this. My PSN ID is covamalia so drop me a request.
0x

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team
Name: Campbell Wallis
Car No: 64
Team: Kaibutsu Racing
Steam ID: camp_bell
Twitter: camp__bell

Postby camp_bell » 04 Aug 2020, 13:20

I picked up GT Sport cheap about a year or so ago but haven't played very much. It's hard to go back to playing that kind of game with a controller and connecting my PS4 to my wheel etc for the sake of one game was a faff too far for me. Plus my PS Plus subscription expired ages ago and I didn't want to renew it, again, mostly for the sake of one game.

A shame because it did feel good with the wheel and while it's light on content, it cut through a lot of the bullshit that dragged down GT games before. I think if I was still really invested in consoles I'd have been all over it.
0x
"He's rolled the car at Dunlop. How has he managed that? I'm genuinely impressed."