• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

Season 2 Final Standings & Season Discussion

All discussion regarding the second season of Really Rubbish Racing - The RRR Touring Car Championship
ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Season 2 Final Standings & Season Discussion

Postby ajokay » 13 Oct 2011, 22:52

Final standings:

http://reallyrubbishracing.co.uk/index. ... nts_Tables

Congratulations to Flavoury Rug, CheeseyRug Racing, and Dan Thorn, our 3 champions!

Flavoury gets to run the number 1 on his car next season.

Here's the champions page:

http://reallyrubbishracing.co.uk/index. ... _Champions
0x
Have fun.

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team
Car No: 12
Team: The Indypendables

Re: Season 2 Final Standings & Season Discussion

Postby Icthyes » 13 Oct 2011, 23:01

Well done guys! Glad I kept my 7th spot even though I missed the last races. Hopefully a bit more luck and commitment will see me through to a better spot next season (except I'll probably rarely be in the points...)
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 13 Oct 2011, 23:06

Icthyes wrote:Well done guys! Glad I kept my 7th spot even though I missed the last races. Hopefully a bit more luck and commitment will see me through to a better spot next season (except I'll probably rarely be in the points...)
As you've completed less than half a full season, you'll be classes as a rookie again next season, so you'll still have the Rookie Cup to fight for and bring home points for your manufacturer if nothing else.
0x
Have fun.

smifaye
Original 8
Car No: 55
Team: Black Cats

Postby smifaye » 14 Oct 2011, 07:21

Woah! POWA and RumbLee have the same amount of points, thats pretty sweet.

Well done to all our champions they all deserved it :)
0x

smifaye
Original 8
Car No: 55
Team: Black Cats

Postby smifaye » 14 Oct 2011, 07:25

I came second once again :). With one less point than I got last season. Talk about consistency! Consistently second best!
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 14 Oct 2011, 08:28

Great season! Really good close racing and especially good fun battling with Rumbly for most of the season.
0x

Butler_F1
Team: The INDYPENDABLES

Postby Butler_F1 » 14 Oct 2011, 09:26

5th in the Indies is the best i could realistically of achieved when i only raced in 3 races, happy to beat some people who had raced a few more races. Shame i didn't win a race, i dont imagine i will with the 4za championship either!
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 14 Oct 2011, 09:32

Congrats to Flavoury and CheeseyRug Racing!

I'm obviously delighted with my championship :D

Also massive thanks to Alex for nailing the rules - no car seemed to have an overall advantage and the racing was seriously close. Props for that buddy!

I'd like to thank Rumbly as well for helping me out with set-up, tuning and general driving advice when I first got the game, it massively helped and without it my season may have gone a little differently!
0x

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 15 Oct 2011, 14:02

This championship was the shizzle.

Season one was fun because with all the different cars it was quite unpredictable, but this season felt much more like a proper race series, with close racing and a proper two-horse race for the title. The teams aspect added a whole new dimension and I hope we bring it back for a future season.

Great to have so many drivers taking part too - nine more than season one.

I'm pleased with how my season went - much stronger than season one and I even joined the winners circle 8-)

Had a fantastic season-long battle with Alex who proved that he is indeed faster than his team mate. Took him a while, though ;)

Looking forward to more close racing in season three!
0x

RumblyLizard
Original 8
Team: Black Raptors
Twitter: sglwhite

Postby RumblyLizard » 15 Oct 2011, 18:59

Firstly, congratulations to our 3 new champions. Especially FlavouryRug - as we've had a titanic battle until the last 3 races. I apologise in that respect for not making the championship as exciting as it had been previously, but I simply haven't had the time to play Forza. Until then, we were within a lag attack of each other and it was very exciting. Some huge on track moments between us too, I have great respect for Flavoury!

Secondly the season as a whole. Thanks to Alex for a fantastic set of rules and thanks to all the racers involved for largely clean racing, tactical racing and some great on track moments. This season improved upon the first tenfold. The tracks and the cars were well chosen. From my perspective what was lost with the lack of upgrading cars was made up for by the fine tuning and precision driving this demanded. I'd still like to see upgrades brought back at some time (in a different capacity) but in general, this season was fantastic.

A few points:

What works

[*]pit stops
[*]random grids
[*]evenly matched cars with the same drivetrain
[*]certain tracks. I was amazed by how close we were on the last 3 tracks. Silverstone, Mugello and Suzuka. I don't really know why this was.

What didnt work

[*]certain tracks. I didn't like amalfi or bugatti. I also felt that me and flavoury were miles ahead on some tracks like Sunset Peninsula. This might be a skill thing, or could have been car balance. Its difficult to know
[*]wiki updates. People are relying on Alex for the results, give him a break and help out with the photos! I was doing it for a lot of the time until the last 3 weeks when I couldn't. And those races don't have many, if any pictures...!
[*]Lag. Self explanatory here, we all need to double check and triple check our connections.

I'll add more if I think of any.

I'd also like to thank everyone for accommodating my later start time request. I ask that this be continued into the new season if people are ok with it, although this is a very selfish request!

Thanks all for a wonderful season. And Flavoury...I want my title back :twisted:
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 16 Oct 2011, 05:33

I think that every series we do is going to have anomalies. We'll try to see them coming and iron them out, but stuff like Sunset Peninsula Sam, you and Flavoury were simply faster than everyone else.

After two seasons we're starting to see who the better drivers are. We can equalise the cars all you want, but there's the simple fact that some of us are better than others.

RRR's top tier based on general season-long competition form now firmly consists of RumblyLizard, FlavouryRug and Tomcheesey, with Smifaye hot on the heals.

The second tier is far more spread out but I would consider myself and Bookoi, Shouty, Umack, and until we have direct competition it's hard to gauge, but Dan Thorn is obviously there, maybe Butler too. I'm not sure where to fit Mr Flobadob in but it's probably this group. He's been fast sometimes, not in others and has been unlucky in races.

All this being said, when just doing random races in random cars and just jumping into them and racing, rather than spending a week beforehand tuning the car for a specific track and driving many test laps, I feel like I can easily compete with those inthe top tier and comfortably beat them, as shown in the DTM/Super GT races we've been having, and also the Twingo Cup.

This is why I'm in favour of every now and again having a season where stuff like tuning and upgrading the car lots is put firmly in second place behind simply tuning up in a lightly upgraded car and racing it. Allows those who aren't so good at tuning or don't have as much time to test a specific car/track combination to compete with those who do.

But when the big proper main series come around, I'm fully happy to accept that I'm a Nico Rosberg rather than a Sebestian Vettel. Although I'll always give it my best
0x
Have fun.

Mr E 004
Team: ART
Twitter: @Mr_E004

Postby Mr E 004 » 16 Oct 2011, 09:36

Season was amazing and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As said in Suzuka post race, I'm gutted about missing my Season target, but it was a lot more difficult than I was expecting. 15 points from the season means that I finished, on average, just behind 7th, but I really didn't, I was rarely involved in racing with other people. But this was all down to the fact that I struggled intensely with consistency all season. And that was just in my lap times.
0x
ART And DUREX, Together Proving Coming Last Isn't A Bad Thing!

Twitter: @Mr_E004

tomcheesey
Original 8
Team: CheeseyRug Racing

Postby tomcheesey » 16 Oct 2011, 10:14

A nice way to end the championship for me, it's been a lot of fun, thanks to everyone who raced and in particular Alex for organising it so well. My only regret is I wish I could have made more races, and not have had a mid-season connection crisis. Without these absences I feel I could have made a bid for the title fight, or at least a podium.

Congrats to Flavoury for a superb performance this season though: there has only been one race where he hasn't been on the podium! CheeseyRug racing are definitely a force to be reckoned with, hopefully we can race again as team mates in a future season under the same name ;).

Also well done to Dan on taking the Independent's Trophy, I'm looking forward to racing with you and everyone else next season, lets make it another good'n!
0x

Mr Flobadob
Name: Lee Harrison
Car No: 7
Team: The Offenders
Twitter: therealmrflob

Postby Mr Flobadob » 16 Oct 2011, 17:11

Has been a really good season, had decent pace all season, just made silly mistakes in nearly every race costing me a lot of points. Last 3 races I seemed to improve a lot, but still made mistakes, probably should've won at Silverstone and got at least podiums in a couple of the other last few rounds. Still, had some fun in my first season on Forza!
0x

Mr Flobadob
Name: Lee Harrison
Car No: 7
Team: The Offenders
Twitter: therealmrflob

Postby Mr Flobadob » 16 Oct 2011, 17:39

Also would just like to say I'd love to do a touring car championship again in the future.
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 16 Oct 2011, 19:34

I'll echo what Alex said. Judging from the combined times I seem to be close to Pete and Alex quite a bit, but on the odd occasion I've been able to compete with those in the 'top tier'. I think I'm better at jump in and drive races, as I don't have the patience to fettle with tuning every race. In some of the DTM races I've had I've felt very competitive, and the Super Twingo cup was great for my confidence.

The touring cars were great, and I'd wholly endorse a second season with similar rules. Maybe introduce rear wheel drive for an extra challenge, or older cars with more engine tuning freedom and less suspension and transmission freedom to fully replicate older style motorsport.

Really looking forward to competing with everyone and helping get the St Pirans flag firmly up on the list of 'scariest things to see in your rear view mirror' :D
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8

Postby FlavouryRug » 21 Oct 2011, 08:01

RumblyLizard wrote:Firstly, congratulations to our 3 new champions. Especially FlavouryRug - as we've had a titanic battle until the last 3 races. I apologise in that respect for not making the championship as exciting as it had been previously, but I simply haven't had the time to play Forza. Until then, we were within a lag attack of each other and it was very exciting. Some huge on track moments between us too, I have great respect for Flavoury!

Thanks! The battles were incredible in many of the races. Even the ones I lost out in I still enjoyed. I think I'm a much better and faster racer at the end of this series and these battles and with others are the reason why.

tomcheesey wrote:Congrats to Flavoury for a superb performance this season though: there has only been one race where he hasn't been on the podium! CheeseyRug racing are definitely a force to be reckoned with, hopefully we can race again as team mates in a future season under the same name ;).

Definately. I really enjoyed the team aspect of the racing this year and should be back in future series for sure. We really were a force to be reckoned with.

As for the 'tiers' I think this is largely to do with the cars for me. I feel I am best with FWD mid powered cars. Stick me in a sluggish S class and you'll all lap me. This is why I think after season 3 we should definately move towards a series in RWD cars with a bit of umpf. As the DTM practice races have shown, I am off the pace of the likes of AJ at the moment. I think Rumbly would be in the same boat too? Would be a good reset on the tiers at least (although it could punish newer drivers).
0x

RumblyLizard
Original 8
Team: Black Raptors
Twitter: sglwhite

Postby RumblyLizard » 21 Oct 2011, 13:05

FlavouryRug wrote:As for the 'tiers' I think this is largely to do with the cars for me. I feel I am best with FWD mid powered cars. Stick me in a sluggish S class and you'll all lap me. This is why I think after season 3 we should definately move towards a series in RWD cars with a bit of umpf. As the DTM practice races have shown, I am off the pace of the likes of AJ at the moment. I think Rumbly would be in the same boat too? Would be a good reset on the tiers at least (although it could punish newer drivers).

There is an element of this. Personally I think we should alternate between FWD, RWD and a free championship. We've done the free one (season 1) and FWD, so logically RWD is next. I love RWD cars even if i'm not great with them!
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8

Postby FlavouryRug » 21 Oct 2011, 19:56

RumblyLizard wrote:I love RWD cars even if i'm not great with them!

Ditto. Well if my and Cheesey get our way with season four...
0x