• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

Suzuka: Post Race Discussion

All discussion regarding the second season of Really Rubbish Racing - The RRR Touring Car Championship
Butler_F1
Team: The INDYPENDABLES

Suzuka: Post Race Discussion

Postby Butler_F1 » 13 Oct 2011, 20:32

No one was making one, i presume people where busy with the Super Twingos so here goes....

Last race of the Season, how was it for you!!

First Race.

First race was one of the most intense i have driven, i started 2nd, Damon was first, got a pretty decent start but damon was lagging so didn't want to try and take him into 130r, tried at that horrible little corner next and he breaked very early i thought, so got past, not sure what went on behind me, but all i do know is i was leading and Dan was 2nd going into lap two. Not much happened from then till around lap 6/7, i had a gap of about 2 seconds which Dan was slowly chomping into, then on lap7 i had an awful lap, lost pretty much my whole lead, and he was right behind me going into the harpin, around spoon and onto lap 8. i took 130r too fast, and too sharp on lap 8, and it meant i was carrying too much speed on the exit, ran wide, and it screwed up my breaking for the next corner, went wide and Dan got through. I tried pressuring him through the rest of the race, don't think the gap went above 0.5 seconds. He made a mistake on the harpin of the last lap, i saw him run wide, i thought it was my chance to get a run into spoon and in my eagerness to get a good exit, i put too much powerdown, spun the wheels and went wide too! It was incredible close, all very clean epic racing. I'm annoyed i let the pressure get to me and i had such a bad lap, i could of had the win i think. I did get the fastest lap though. A 1.25.544 compared to dans 1.25.554, that sums it up really! I was also running a slightly new livery, changed the silver to black, i think this influenced my pace!

If you can you should go look at the Replay, and watch Me and Dan from around lap6 and a half too the end. Its on my storefront.

Second race had no Drama! I started 5th of 6, didn't have a great start. Was behind Java at the end of Lap1 and made a decisions that if i was still behind into the last chicane id pit, i felt i was loosing a tonne of time, i was behind so pitted, i came out last and just tried to go as quickly as i could, was lapping in the 1:17s every lap, it wasn't good enough to get me near the leaders when they pitted but when Java and Damon pitted i was comfortably ahead, carried on my pace. Tried to chase down Dan and Smithay but they where too quick.

Two more podiums though, which means 5 podiums in my 6 races, which is better then i was expecting when i started the championship tbh, shame i started so late i could of been higher in the championship, and no win which is a shame, but hey ho!
0x

smifaye
Original 8
Car No: 55
Team: Black Cats

Re: Susuka: Post Race Discussion

Postby smifaye » 13 Oct 2011, 20:52

Enjoyed the racing tonight as there were more people than expected which was nice.

First race was pretty bad for me though, I got lag attacked by Damon 4 or 5 times which ruined my car and I was really slow. I ended up 4th. Disappointed to not finish on the podium :(

Second race was much better. Dan and I had a good little battle until guess what, he went off! ;). Fortunately he returned just behind and we had another battle for a lap until he went for a huuuuuge lunge down the inside coming into the Casio chicane! lol. Shame it was the end of a real battle. I just kept a fairly regular pace and wanted to make sure I came out inn front of Damon to stay away from the lag ;). I ended up 1st which I was happy with :)
0x

Mr Flobadob
Name: Lee Harrison
Car No: 7
Team: The Offenders
Twitter: therealmrflob

Postby Mr Flobadob » 13 Oct 2011, 21:56

Wasn't bad, just got a bit unlucky getting caught up in Shouty's crash, had a chance of a podium tonight in both races.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 13 Oct 2011, 22:19

Race results are up...

http://reallyrubbishracing.co.uk/index. ... Grand_Prix

Final points tables to come!
0x
Have fun.

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 14 Oct 2011, 07:22

What happened with the Twingos?
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 14 Oct 2011, 08:22

A couple of ok races for me.

Had a cautious few laps and was running 6th. Avoided collisions to take third and secure the championship.

Had a few good races. A close battle with AJ in the second race was a highlight first struggling infront, pulling out a gap eventually, but then locking brakes and taking to the escape road at the final chicane to lose my position. After the pits I was battling with Rumbly and AJ. Made a strong move into turn 1 by holding the inside line. I think AJ ran off wide at this point. Managed to get past Rumbly and Shouty by them running wide at the last chicane to take second.

Had a close battle with Bookoi too. My first attempt to pass ended miserably as I took 130R perfectly, but failed to position my car well enough to make a move and smashed into the his back. I gave this position back and then had a go again.

I managed to get past by having a quicker exit from Spoon and run down the back straight. Bookoi was really defensive in the middle of the track. I managed to get on the outside and was squeezed heavily and had 2 tyres on the dirt. Despite this, I managed to maintain momentum and take him through 130R.

Not the best performances, but good enough results.
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 14 Oct 2011, 09:58

Well, as Butler says, the first race was pure epic.

I started near the back but at double right after 130R Damon executed some kind of lag attack on Smifaye, which spun him in front of me and I went into the side of him, which slightly damaged my car but didn't cost too much time. Then coming up to the hairpin Smifaye looked very hesitant to try and pass a laggy Damon, so I just went for it and went between both of them to take second.

By this time Butler had pulled out a bit of a lead and I set about trying to catch him, but at the start of lap 2 Java ran into the back of me under braking, which somehow turned my front aero 'orange'. I ran a bit wide and by now Butler's lead was up to three seconds. I tried to catch him but the gap was only coming down by a tenth a lap, if that. I got it down to around 2.7 seconds, but then all of a sudden it went down to 1.6. I started trying to apply pressure to Butler and at the end of lap 8 he ran wide at Spoon, giving me the chance to draw alongside him on the exit. My damaged aero caused me to drop back though and I slotted in behind him and cautiously took 130R. Then he ran wide at the double right and I managed to get up the inside at the second apex.

By this point I was shaking with adrenaline and my heart was beating out of my chest, and on the final lap I completely messed up 130R and lost any lead I had built up, almost leaving a gap up the inside for the double right but I had just enough to prevent Butler from having anything more than a half chance. Then I ran wide on the exit of the hairpin and thought Butler was going to have a run at me, so I was so relieved to see him run wide as well! Won by half a second in probably the most exciting race of my season.

I don't know if my mic was working but that's probably for the best, I was grunting and sighing at every corner and I felt like screaming as I crossed the line. Honestly, I felt like Button at Canada ;) I'm really happy to have beaten Smifaye in a race though (no matter how much damage he had!)

The second race was a bit less eventful. I lead from pole with Smifaye in tow, and I tried to build a gap as quickly as possible. I could see that I had much more confidence in the fast corners early on and knew that'd be key to building a good gap, so I pushed as hard as I could. At the start of lap 2 though I went off at turn 1 and lost the lead. I was still with Smifaye by 130R and I got an epic run through it, but Smifaye must have been 10-15mph slower on the apex so I had to slam on the anchors and lost all my momentum. I think decided that I WAS going to make a move into the chicane, so I sat behind him and did the foolish thing of watching his brake lights and then braking just a little bit later, which led to me wildly lunging up the inside. I wasn't far off making the corner, but it cost me quite a bit of time.

Smifaye pitted reasonably early so I set about putting in some hot laps, which I did reasonably well and I thought I'd built up enough of a gap for it be close. Annoyingly though the Suzuka pit lane is driven really slowly and badly by the AI so I was no closer than I had been before he pitted. I tried catching him but just ended up making a load of mistakes (I hate Suzuka) and finished a distant second. I think if I'd have been a little more cautious it would have been a closer battle and I may have had a decent chance of winning, but that;s my own fault isn't it!
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 14 Oct 2011, 10:23

DanThorn wrote:I started near the back but at double right after 130R Damon executed some kind of lag attack on Smifaye, which spun him in front of me and I went into the side of him, which slightly damaged my car but didn't cost too much time. Then coming up to the hairpin Smifaye looked very hesitant to try and pass a laggy Damon, so I just went for it and went between both of them to take second.

Yeah I was really worried about being hit by Damon again, I should have just done what you did Dan because I got hit by him anyway even though I was staying well clear.

DanThorn wrote:I was still with Smifaye by 130R and I got an epic run through it, but Smifaye must have been 10-15mph slower on the apex so I had to slam on the anchors and lost all my momentum. I think decided that I WAS going to make a move into the chicane, so I sat behind him and did the foolish thing of watching his brake lights and then braking just a little bit later, which led to me wildly lunging up the inside. I wasn't far off making the corner, but it cost me quite a bit of time.

Yeah I only realised within the last few laps that I could have taken 130R flat out which was a shame! Ha that move was hilarious. Wasn't far off making it? lulz. Shame we couldn't have more of a battle Dan but I enjoyed it while it lasted
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 14 Oct 2011, 10:35

Well, I didn't run onto the green sticky stuff! I outbraked myself far worse on a couple of other occasions ;)

Yeah I'm looking forward to resuming this duel in season 3. I appear to be quite close in pace to Pete and Alex judging by the combined times as well as having some close battles with them in other races. Bring it on!
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 14 Oct 2011, 10:45

DanThorn wrote:Well, I didn't run onto the green sticky stuff! I outbraked myself far worse on a couple of other occasions ;)

Yeah I'm looking forward to resuming this duel in season 3. I appear to be quite close in pace to Pete and Alex judging by the combined times as well as having some close battles with them in other races. Bring it on!

I'm just a measly reserve for season 3 though :(. Yeah I think a lot of us are very evenly matched with Flavoury, tomcheesey and Rumbly out the front.
0x

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 15 Oct 2011, 13:41

Race one: I came into the event four points behind Alex in the standings and knew I needed to make big gains in the sprint race to stand any chance of beating him, so I was pretty relieved to start the race on the front row with Alex further back.

Made a good start and had a great scrap with Cheesey. He lead initially but I shocked an amazed myself by managing to stay close for several laps before actually passing him for the lead :shock: He stayed with me for a few laps but I seemed to be holding him at bay and actually started to believe I could win. Then came lap seven(ish) when we both outbraked ourselves after 130R and I damaged my car a little. Over the next few laps I was quickly hauled in and passed relentlessly and came in 5th. Worse, one place behind Alex. Easily my most heartbreaking RRR moment so far! ;)

The whole thing threw me off my game somewhat for the feature race and I was well off my practice pace, trundling home a season worst 7th. In the process, Rumblee Racing tied with POWA on points, beating us to the runner-up spot on countback. So close, Alex!

All in all a bit of a disappointing end to the season but at least for a little while I was running with the big dogs. Got my first ever fastest lap, too ;)
0x

RumblyLizard
Original 8
Team: Black Raptors
Twitter: sglwhite

Postby RumblyLizard » 15 Oct 2011, 18:49

Its taken me a while to find the time to post so apologies.

Re: race 1. Pretty amazed I came second. I was setting competitive times and probably should have won the race when Tom/Pete got together. Unfortunately I aimed at pete as he was initially invisible, but then solidified. Was chuffed to finish second despite the lack of practice (and I was using my laguna seca setup).

Race 2 began well, I seem to remember that I was racing shouty for the lead. I pitted, he pitted the next lap and remained ahead. I was clearly faster than him during the first part of the track though. I went for an overtake into the second corner having had a good exit from the final chicane and a good first corner. Shouty turned in on me, span me around and that was the end of my fight for first position.

I know that shouty said this was lag, but from my screen we touched and then he kept his foot down. We've had a lot of incidents that have been labelled 'lag' when they may have been mistakes. I wouldn't normally complain about these type of incidents, but I was challenging for the lead (albeit having had the pitstop). Its frustrating.

Rest of the race was average. I set fast times, managed to hold a net 3rd and then ballsed up a few corners and lost confidence. Unfortunately thats what happens when i've had no setup or practice time! Was beaten home by my teammate for the first time legitimately (the lag attack notwithstanding) so while this was disappointing, its a great result for flob. Really pleased to have nailed second place in the constructors though. I had no idea it would be so close!

Thanks for a great season. I'll post my season comments in the other thread.
0x

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team
Car No: 12
Team: The Indypendables

Postby Icthyes » 15 Oct 2011, 20:28

If you haven't seen the replay from the first Independents race, you really should!
0x

SHOUTY
Original 8
Name: Jamie Hunt
Car No: 16
Team: Concordskii Motorфлот
Steam ID: Shoutyskii
Twitter: @Shoutyskii #BeatPJ

Postby SHOUTY » 15 Oct 2011, 20:42

RumblyLizard wrote:I know that shouty said this was lag, but from my screen we touched and then he kept his foot down. We've had a lot of incidents that have been labelled 'lag' when they may have been mistakes. I wouldn't normally complain about these type of incidents, but I was challenging for the lead (albeit having had the pitstop). Its frustrating.

It really was lag, i turned in and you appeared sideways in front of me and then spun off and rolled, surprised you managed to carry on at such a good pace. It seems that when people get close to me they lag, just like when Flavoury started flying around at Mugello. I did offer to let you back past anyway.

Race:1 Catching the leaders, but then my dad asked me a question, took my headset out to talk, tried to put it back in after degna 2, Rumbly was alongside, turned too tight, span... wall... flob. Then pulled over as was only going to cause another accident. Stupid mistake on my part, if I was flob I would call for a penalty because of my idoicy.

Race:2 Lead, Lagged, Lost it in the last corner... 3rd.
0x
Copying other people since 1995

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 16 Oct 2011, 05:20

My views are pretty much the same at Pete's. I managed to beat him to 3rd in the Championship, which considering the competition and the races this season, I'm incredibly chuffed with. But for us to lose 2nd place in the teams championship was a real blow, and I was staring more points in the face at the end of the second race but couldn't get past a slower pair of RumbLee cars having found myself behind them when I went off at the first corner when Flavoury was alongside.
0x
Have fun.

RumblyLizard
Original 8
Team: Black Raptors
Twitter: sglwhite

Postby RumblyLizard » 16 Oct 2011, 06:17

Sodamn Insane 6 wrote:
RumblyLizard wrote:
It really was lag, i turned in and you appeared sideways in front of me and then spun off and rolled, surprised you managed to carry on at such a good pace. It seems that when people get close to me they lag, just like when Flavoury started flying around at Mugello. I did offer to let you back past anyway.

You're right. Because you said it was lag, I decided to not take the place back. I was faster than you though as I managed to catch up! For what it was worth, I guess the reason that I was annoyed is because I was really enjoying it until then! It was a good, fair race with you. Lets hope your connection improves 8-)
0x

Mr E 004
Team: ART
Twitter: @Mr_E004

Re: Suzuka: Post Race Discussion

Postby Mr E 004 » 16 Oct 2011, 09:30

Suzuka...interesting.

Race 1.
Wasn't really involved at all in the racing. Rolled around in 8th for a long time, the incident that involved Shouty and Flob meant that I could finish a respectable 6th, collecting my first first finish in front of two other "competing" cars, and a second finish ahead of my teammate.

Race 2.
Started 2nd on a all Shout-E-Motoring front row, small contact on first corner with AJ as my car understeered away from the curb (sorry), and that lead to me spinning but minimal damage. Last from there on in really. 8th.

Gutted about the 8th as it left me 1 point short of my Really Rubbish Target for my first season. Collecting points in each race, not as easy as first thought as everyone seemed to be getting considerably better than season one results seemed to suggest :-P
0x
ART And DUREX, Together Proving Coming Last Isn't A Bad Thing!

Twitter: @Mr_E004

tomcheesey
Original 8
Team: CheeseyRug Racing

Postby tomcheesey » 16 Oct 2011, 10:04

Race 1:

Finally the random grid decided to give me some luck as I started on pole for the first race. The only person I remember having a battle with was Pete, but it was an enjoyable one at that, and Kudos for getting the fastest lap! A shame we both outbraked ourselves as that battle would have gone on for the rest of the race, but luckily I managed to save myself slamming into the barrier and only ran a little wide. Thankfully we had put some space between us and the rest of the field so I could rejoin the track in first and managed to hold on to it for the win.

Race 2:
Back to its old ways again, the grid put me in last place. I don't remember too much from the start, but I recall a few cars going wide and managing to sneak through on the inside to gain a few places. From then on I managed to consistently put good lap times in, and stayed out whilst the rest of the field pitted. By staying in clean air I managed to stay out of trouble and when I pitted towards the end of the race I came out with a lead of a few seconds. From then on I just kept going and managed to eek out a 12 second gap from the rest of the field, of which I have to say I'm quite proud of! A handy second for Flavoury too after forcing Shouty into a mistake under pressure on the last lap!
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 16 Oct 2011, 12:26

tomcheesey wrote:A handy second for Flavoury too after forcing Shouty into a mistake under pressure on the last lap!

Hah yes by saying "only one corner left, Shouty.."

Also with the lag attacks, if everyone saves replays it's easy to prove. If it lagged on Shouty's then it would show up in Shouty's replay.
0x