• 27/10/2019 - CLASH VI: Sugo | 10/11/2019 - Formula GEARS: Zandvoort | 17/11/2019 Special Event 72: TBA

Assetto Corsa - General Discussion

Discussion about anything related to Kunos Simulazioni's Assetto Corsa.
ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Assetto Corsa - General Discussion

Postby ajokay » 25 May 2013, 20:14

Seemingly an italian-made PC racing sim coming sometime later this year. Graphically looks rather stunning. Official licences from what looks like Ferrari, BMW and Lotus so far.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/en/
0x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Re: Assetto Corsa

Postby ajokay » 11 Jul 2013, 10:37

Loeb's McLaren 12C GT3 at Silverstone. This game is looking rather tasty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqTaKGfeBE0
0x
Have fun.

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 11 Jul 2013, 11:02

that looks absolutely, ridiculously good. The audio is fantastic too. the most realistic racer i think i've seen.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 11 Nov 2013, 11:56

This has now seen early access release on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244210/

Silverstone, Monza, Monza 1960 and Autodromo dell'Umbria.

Abarth 500, Exige, Elise, M3 E30, M3 E92, Z4 E89, M3 GT2, Lotus 49, 458 Italia, X-Bow, Formula Abarth.

That's what your £30 gets you. Physics are apparently rather wonderful.
0x
Have fun.

blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 11 Nov 2013, 12:38

Graphics too, look wonderful.
0x

PJTierney
Name: PJ Tierney
Car No: 45
Team: Goteki House
Wiki Page: PJ
Twitter: @PJ_Tierney

Postby PJTierney » 03 Dec 2013, 20:59

I got to play this while I was in Italy over the weekend, on a full rig with triple screens and an F1-style cockpit. Paid €10 for a 15 minute run around Monza.

It was quite unforgiving for the first few laps, but once I got the hang of things, like the right degree of throttle control etc, it was quite involving. The kerbs were still a bit treacherous though*, but once I got into it the driving was rather good. Don't know what it would be like on a home setup, but with the F1 rig is was incredible.

*I somehow managed to somersault an F1 car off a kerb at Ascari. Thankfully the damage was turned off.
0x

PJ Tierney | Web | Twitter | Instagram

Bye_Jr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Tom White
Car No: 25
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Bye_Jr
Twitter: @Bye_Jr

Postby Bye_Jr » 06 Dec 2013, 13:41

So what do we think? Worth splashing out on? I like my sims, but £30 is quite steep for a poor student!
0x

Really Rubbish Racing's Second Fastest Driver In Really Real Life 2k15

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member
Name: Jay Cooper
Car No: 17
Team: Defenders
Twitter: @Jay_ST_Cooper

Postby JayCoops435 » 06 Dec 2013, 14:46

Have a look on nosteam and grab a copy of it there. If it's any good, then splash the cash and get it with Steam.
0x
Racing... because golf, football and cricket only require one ball.

Bye_Jr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Tom White
Car No: 25
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Bye_Jr
Twitter: @Bye_Jr

Postby Bye_Jr » 06 Dec 2013, 16:15

JayCoops435 wrote:Have a look on nosteam and grab a copy of it there. If it's any good, then splash the cash and get it with Steam.

I googled that website and it looked *really* shady and opened several tabs. I nope'd the hell out of there. I'll take a pass on it for now, I think
0x

Really Rubbish Racing's Second Fastest Driver In Really Real Life 2k15

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member
Name: Jay Cooper
Car No: 17
Team: Defenders
Twitter: @Jay_ST_Cooper

Postby JayCoops435 » 06 Dec 2013, 16:19

I've never had a problem with the site or the games. Everything I've got off it has been virus free.
0x
Racing... because golf, football and cricket only require one ball.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 18 Dec 2013, 13:56

My boss has just bought me this for christmas. I know what I'm doing tonight!
0x
Have fun.

blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 18 Dec 2013, 19:40

Let me know how it goes.
0x

Twinkle.Toes.
Name: Ben Cooper
Car No: 959
Steam ID: koopatroopa14rlyr
Twitter: @KoopaTroopaFM4

Postby Twinkle.Toes. » 18 Dec 2013, 21:51

ajokay wrote:My boss has just bought me this for christmas.

Best boss ever!
0x
Formerly known as KoopaTroopa

GEARS AM CHAMPION | MIATA MASTERS AMATEUR CHAMPION

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 19 Dec 2013, 23:47

Here's a video I just made for y'all

Keeping in mind it's a beta and still very much in development, it's quite nice. It looks pretty, with a high poly count, detailed textures and accurate lazer scanned cars and circuits.

There 15 or so cars, with the main licences being from Lotus and BMW. There's M3's, Z4's, an M3 GT3, Lotus Elise, Exige, Evora, 2-Eleven, and a type 49. There's also an Abarth 500, a KTM X-bow, McLaren MP4-12C, a Zonda, 4/5 Competizione, Ferrari 458 Italia, and a Formula Abarth (F3) car.

Circuit-wise, it's a little limited at the moment, with Mugello, Silverstone, Monza and Imola being the highlights.

The car physics feel nice, although I think some more tweaking with my wheel and force feedback is required. Even though I have a 900 degree wheel, it's still limiting me to 180, so a 90 degree turn of the wheel sends the on-screen one whirling like a dervish, which is providing a bit of poor feedback when I'm trying to gauge how much to turn the wheel. I should think you'd need a wheel to enjoy this fully, although it does have native support for the Xbox 360 controller.

The cars have a nice pitch and roll about them. They could maybe do with a little more weight, but maybe that's down to me only trying the smaller or lighter cars, and my wheel needing some fine tuning.

At the moment I'd call it a 'Track Day Simulator'. There are full race weekends, multiplayer and career modes on the way (as well as lots of developer-encouraged modding), but currently you can either choose a car and a track and hotlap, or take part in challenge events, which seem along the lines of the kind of thing Gran Turismo throws at you. I stuck to hotlapping in my Exige at Silverstone, and that was pretty fun, trying to perfect your line, understand the car, better your lap times. All the tuning is good and proper and you can get all the telemetry feedback and then fine tune the car's parts. The HUD is also customisable, with each element being a widget that you can turn on, off, and move around the screen as you see fit.

There's an auto-vista type thing when you choose you car, you can spin round it and even get in and look around the whole interior, which has been given an equal amount of detail.

I've played about 90 minutes so far, and it's been enjoyable. It's £25 in the Steam sale, and it's an early access beta release, so if you're willing to spend some cash now (thus helping fund the development) and sit tight with the cars, tracks and game modes currently available whilst waiting for the rest of the game to fill out, I'd say it was worth the money. It is going to need a fairly good PC though, even for the minimum specifications.
0x
Have fun.

Ripster014

Postby Ripster014 » 21 Dec 2013, 20:32

There are also additional third party applications that will provide additional information on the screen including tyre pressure, temperature and amount of dirt on the tyre. But there is also two apps available that allow you to compare your hot laps against everyone else like what Forza had.

It is pretty but until they have multi-player or career mode it can get boring just hot lapping. Since the release all there has been is additional cars and tracks. They need to get the meat of the game out there.

Just out... someone was able to hack an ini file and it is kind of possible to race 1 AI on the track now. It does not work with all cars and all tracks but some combinations work.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 29 Dec 2013, 17:06

I've finally got my wheel set up correctly. Initially the on-screen arms weren't syncing up with my own. Turns out that my wheel has been set to 200° rotation rather than the 900° it's capable of, meaning that the on-screen arms were turning the wheel over and over whilst all I'd done was turn 90°. Meant the car was really twichy and I had no basis as to how far I'd actually turned the car's wheels.

Anyway, now it's set up right, this sim is far more enjoyable. In a recent update they've added the Ferrari 599XX Evo, the F40 and the BMW Z4 GT3 with 5 liveries (the wonderful Marc VDS team's being one of them). I've done 10 or so laps in the Z4 GT3 and it's a lot of fun. The car is really gippy and you can take the corners with a lot more confidence than the road cars. It can still get a little sketchy if you plant your foot or brake whilst turning, you certainly do have to do everything in order, one thing at a time.

In the end I managed to lap with a 2:07.9. The best laps last summer in the Blancpain and GT Open races were around the 2:02 mark, so I'm not too far wide of the mark. I'm sure with a little more bravery I could knock another second off.
0x
Have fun.

OLL1E_K
Twitter: @OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 30 Dec 2013, 14:56

I found the Z4 GT3 a bit twitchy on the brakes, maybe its a trait of the sim or my driving but any form of trail braking led to snap oversteer which is a little disconcerting! Still fiddling with the brake gamma settings to try and solve this but that said, the FFB and physics in general are really rewarding. Very enjoyable.

Wait, your BOSS brought you this? Ha, that's fantastic!
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 30 Dec 2013, 16:18

I say boss, he's my line manager and our web developer. More of a mate really.

Yeah, trail braking is a little risky. I got used to it after a few laps in the Z4, but left unsupervised it will throw you sideways without a second thought.
0x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 31 Dec 2013, 15:01

Spent yesterday painting the Vita4One Racing Team's livery from this season's Blancpain Endurance Championship:

Textures are so hi-res, it's beautiful. Does mean you have to get everything spot on though, as mistakes show up.

If anyone wants it, it's in the dropbox.
0x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 01 Jan 2014, 22:42

And another one, just for funsies. The testing livery of the Turner Motorsport BMW Z4, TUSC GTD spec, seen at Daytona recently.

0x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 12 Jan 2014, 15:44

Anyone watching the 24 Hours of Dubai this weekend might recognise this car:

0x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 19 Jan 2014, 00:42

In all its yellowy bluey glory:

0x
Have fun.

smifaye
Original 8
Car No: 55
Team: Black Cats

Postby smifaye » 21 Jan 2014, 08:39

Downloaded the tech demo of this last night to see if my computer can cope with it, and it can. I know it's not a full representation of the actual game but it isn't too far off. Will be downloading this game when I can afford to next month :)
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 21 Jan 2014, 09:22

The patch over the weekend added a few set AI races, which is a very welcome addition.

Of course it's still in its early stages but it already works better than 15 years of Gran Turismo AI. I've only tried the Abarth 500 races so far on 3 different difficulty levels. The first few corners can be a bit messy. The AI like to cram into each other as they pull away from the grid and play bumper cars around the first few corners. They have a tendency to move around a lot in the braking areas which we know is a big no-no. If they're following another car closely they'll dive bomb to the inside no matter what's there... another AI, your own car, the grass... a wall.

But once the race rhythm is settled they calm down an provide a really good challenge, and they race well against each other too. They won't drive straight into you, they'll take different lines to try or defend or attack. It's seems as though the AI is handelled in the same was as Race 07 where the difficulty will be scalable as a percentage. Currently easy is set at 88%, medium at 92% and hard at 98%. I'm yet to try alien difficulty.

Also added in the update was the Ferrari F599XX. Very pretty and great to drive. Can't wait to paint one purple and slap a 23 on the side.
0x
Have fun.

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 21 Jan 2014, 19:58

smifaye wrote:Downloaded the tech demo of this last night to see if my computer can cope with it, and it can. I know it's not a full representation of the actual game but it isn't too far off. Will be downloading this game when I can afford to next month :)

Haven't tried the tech demo, but my PC specs are over the recommended so I'll probably be getting this next month as well.

AI will only improve, but it sounds like a good start. I'll mainly be after it in the long run for multiplayer though I would assume.
0x