• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

Green Turismo - General Info & Discussion

All discussion regarding Really Rubbish Racing's fourteenth console-based season, racing hybrid touring cars in Green Turismo
Gustuso
Car No: 80
Team: Essex Racing
Twitter: @craig_alderson

Re: Green Turismo - General Info & Discussion

Postby Gustuso » 13 Aug 2014, 21:28

ajokay wrote:Dan is a wizard on Gran Turismo because he's actually been playing the games non-stop since GT1 came out. Seriously, he doesn't sleep, he's on an intravenous drip of melted cheese and cider.

The rest of us are somewhat slower. I know I am!

Sounds like Dan should be known as Brackley boy for this champ!

craighypheno wrote:I think I'll have to settle for fighting for top rookie with Matt and Craig... I'm quite a way off of Dan's pace.

Yeah, happy with that. I found I could get down to 1:37's with fresh rubber and plenty of battery but questionable corner cutting lines that won't be used on the day. To be fair, with a race on 'Pirelli mode' I found the battery goes completely after just 1 lap and I end up circulating around the 40's.... see you near the back of the pack! :roll:
0x
"The older I get, the faster I was"

Ratonedge
Car No: 5
Team: ATTK Motorsport - NMR

Postby Ratonedge » 13 Aug 2014, 21:43

has anyone had the battery pack last more than 1-2 laps? lol
0x
Covamalia wrote:
Who do you see as your main rivals?
Ratboy, who will be going very fast but slowly.

Ratonedge wrote:also I am never racing Sedona again. fucking god awful abomination of a place

PJTierney
Name: PJ Tierney
Car No: 45
Team: Goteki House
Wiki Page: PJ
Twitter: @PJ_Tierney

Postby PJTierney » 13 Aug 2014, 22:37

Nope, also noticed no difference in performance between full and empty.
0x

PJ Tierney | Web | Twitter | Instagram

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 13 Aug 2014, 22:39

craighypheno wrote:I think I'll have to settle for fighting for top rookie with Matt and Craig... I'm quite a way off of Dan's pace.
The rookie cup is one of RlyR's most prestigious titles. Some of the current best started out by winning that cup.

Niko, PJ, Blairy, OllieK. All rookie cup winners. 37 wins and many more podiums between them since. Certainly a prize worth going for.
0x
Have fun.

thescottwilkes
Car No: 442
Team: ATTK Motorsport
Twitter: thescottwilkes

Postby thescottwilkes » 13 Aug 2014, 22:41

pjtierney2003 wrote:Nope, also noticed no difference in performance between full and empty.

I'm not entirely sure what the point of it is.
I can onlu think if you're running on the battery you're saving fuel?
0x

"Why don't you walk to the Gym?!"BECAUSE IT'S TOO FAR!!"
They call me Scott Sunshine Wilkes.
"Stop following me I need to PEE!"

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 14 Aug 2014, 05:03

There is a 5-10 mph performance difference when running with the battery. I've certainly noticed it in practice. It's a minimal difference though, half a second a lap, if that. The charging system doesn't seem to work properly though.
0x

Gustuso

Postby Gustuso » 14 Aug 2014, 08:13

The car has a little more zip out of a slow corner with battery power, other than that yes just a tiny bit more top speed.
0x

RaceProUK
Name: Dave Morley
Car No: 149
Team: Red Scarf Racing
Wiki Page: RaceProUK
Steam ID: RaceProUK
Twitter: RaceProUK

Postby RaceProUK » 14 Aug 2014, 09:55

Dan 7horn wrote:It's a minimal difference though, half a second a lap, if that.

My lap times vary more than that in normal cars; no wonder I never noticed the difference!
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 Aug 2014, 09:48

Dan, do you have any tips on getting the most out of these cars? I struggle with FWD at the best of times but last night I was seconds off the pace.
0x

Gustuso

Postby Gustuso » 15 Aug 2014, 09:53

pjtierney2003 wrote:Dan, do you have any tips on getting the most out of these cars? I struggle with FWD at the best of times but last night I was seconds off the pace.

Does he often give away his secrets?
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 Aug 2014, 10:06

He's the quickest GT6 driver in the club anyways and will probably win the championship regardless 8-)
0x

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 15 Aug 2014, 10:06

I'd honestly love to tell everyone that I have a magic set up and try and help everyone improve, but I haven't done anything other than shorten the gears a little bit.

As for the car itself, there's no way it's ever going to lose traction unless the tyres start to get very worn, so it's just the basic racing principles of braking late, taking a normal apex and getting on the power early. With a normal front wheel drive car I'd be looking to square off the corners but this doesn't really have any of the usual negative properties of a front wheel drive car so it can be driven a lot more aggressively.
0x

Gustuso

Postby Gustuso » 15 Aug 2014, 10:22

Dan 7horn wrote:I'd honestly love to tell everyone that I have a magic set up and try and help everyone improve, but I haven't done anything other than shorten the gears a little bit.

As for the car itself, there's no way it's ever going to lose traction unless the tyres start to get very worn, so it's just the basic racing principles of braking late, taking a normal apex and getting on the power early. With a normal front wheel drive car I'd be looking to square off the corners but this doesn't really have any of the usual negative properties of a front wheel drive car so it can be driven a lot more aggressively.

you must be really accurate with your turn in timing then, over a lap I will often end up with having a couple of stabs at it over a few corners
0x

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 15 Aug 2014, 10:33

I think we're finding that the car servicing is really quite a big factor.

Dan's a truly great driver, no doubts about that, but there's more to the gap than just 'Dan's played all the Gran Turismos' ;) Tommy has pretty much just started and he's straight up there too.

I'm not saying there's some trick or exploit, but there's clearly a sweet spot in terms of preparing the car. It's not the whole gap, but it's a significant chunk. I just hope we can all suss it out pretty quickly and have a slightly more competitive championship. Dan's still the best Gran Turismo racer - I just hope we can get within a second a lap of him :)
0x

Smidgey
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Rich Smith
Car No: 81
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Smidgey87
Twitter: Smidgey87

Postby Smidgey » 15 Aug 2014, 10:45

As I said earlier, the car servicing for the extra BHP was worth at least 3 seconds. I went from a 1m38 to a 1m35 without trying and could've probably got into the the 33s/34s with a bit of practice with the extra power. Next round should be a lot closer if we all ensure we're on the same settings.
0x

TommyWTF1
Original 8
Car No: 33
Team: The Indypendables
Steam ID: TommyWTF1
Twitter: TommyWTF1

Postby TommyWTF1 » 15 Aug 2014, 10:50

Bookoi wrote:I think we're finding that the car servicing is really quite a big factor.

Dan's a truly great driver, no doubts about that, but there's more to the gap than just 'Dan's played all the Gran Turismos' ;) Tommy has pretty much just started and he's straight up there too.

Do it then. :P ;)

I don't really get Gran Turismo still but it said on the wiki everything on the pit service menu was allowed. So I went to it, bought all five options and did so before the event. I assumed everyone would.

If everyone does that we should all be pretty even in terms of car performance. :D
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 Aug 2014, 11:02

For Week 2, what are the initial weather settings? (chance of rain, progression etc.)
0x

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 15 Aug 2014, 11:05

I will do next time :P To be fair this was mentioned a while back and I just plain forgot about it. As did most of us from the look of it!

Different sessions seem to have different effects too. I peaked out at 36 flats in time trial mode, then did a single player race and got straight into the 34s whilst dealing with traffic :| Confused.
0x

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 15 Aug 2014, 11:09

TommyWTF1 wrote:
Bookoi wrote:I think we're finding that the car servicing is really quite a big factor.

Do it then. :P ;)

I don't really get Gran Turismo still but it said on the wiki everything on the pit service menu was allowed. So I went to it, bought all five options and did so before the event. I assumed everyone would.

If everyone does that we should all be pretty even in terms of car performance. :D

Indeed, the power difference from last night is entirely down to the oil change. If you look at the results from last night the guys who had done the oil change also got the best results - and if Rich found three seconds a lap just from doing it, then that accounts for a significant portion of the gap.

Bookoi wrote:Different sessions seem to have different effects too. I peaked out at 36 flats in time trial mode, then did a single player race and got straight into the 34s whilst dealing with traffic :| Confused.

Single player races are silly. There's all sorts of boost and stuff going on with those. Take anything you've done in a single player race with a fistful of salt.
0x

TommyWTF1
Original 8
Car No: 33
Team: The Indypendables
Steam ID: TommyWTF1
Twitter: TommyWTF1

Postby TommyWTF1 » 15 Aug 2014, 11:11

Bookoi wrote:Different sessions seem to have different effects too. I peaked out at 36 flats in time trial mode, then did a single player race and got straight into the 34s whilst dealing with traffic :| Confused.

Yeah on Free Play I even did one low 33 but it in the race I could barely do a 35.

But yeah, we're still learnding.

0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 15 Aug 2014, 11:45

Ms Hoover, My car went in the barrier and then I crashed it. Can I have a new one?
0x
Have fun.

Ratonedge
Car No: 5
Team: ATTK Motorsport - NMR

Postby Ratonedge » 15 Aug 2014, 12:19

I've played every GT game and I didnt score a point :lol:
0x
Covamalia wrote:
Who do you see as your main rivals?
Ratboy, who will be going very fast but slowly.

Ratonedge wrote:also I am never racing Sedona again. fucking god awful abomination of a place

thescottwilkes
Car No: 442
Team: ATTK Motorsport
Twitter: thescottwilkes

Postby thescottwilkes » 15 Aug 2014, 12:49

There is a variation between online and single player time trial, I know all the people obsessed with tuning only tune online.

As for your question Pj, I haven't finalised yet. I did one the other day with race start at 60% with progression set to 60 and the surface water went from 0 to 100 in the pit straight.
0x

"Why don't you walk to the Gym?!"BECAUSE IT'S TOO FAR!!"
They call me Scott Sunshine Wilkes.
"Stop following me I need to PEE!"

supernicebob
Name: Nic Redhead
Car No: 42
Team: Scuderia Testa Rosso
Twitter: @super_nic_ebob

Postby supernicebob » 17 Aug 2014, 14:53

The good news is that putting the car through the pit service has given me just over a second a lap round the Nuburgring short circuit. The bad news is that it has seemingly made my car do stuff like this as well...
Last edited by supernicebob on 18 Aug 2014, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.
0x
"Super mighty fine bob, or whatever his name is"
Ted Kravitz

Gustuso

Postby Gustuso » 17 Aug 2014, 21:35

supernicebob wrote:The good news is that putting the car through the pit service has given me just over a second a lap round the Nuburgring short circuit. The bad news is that it has seemingly made my car do stuff like this as well...

not sure your link works, I'm assuming in heavy braking zones it's rather inclined to nose flip? Well my now does this into T1 there after I stiffened the chassis in the pit service
0x