• 27/10/2019 - CLASH VI: Sugo | 10/11/2019 - Formula GEARS: Zandvoort | 17/11/2019 Special Event 72: TBA

Setup Guide

All discussion regarding Really Rubbish Racing's third season of PC racing on Race 07, the International Masters of Formula R 2.0
OLL1E_K
Twitter: @OLL1E_K

Setup Guide

Postby OLL1E_K » 13 Aug 2014, 19:25

A Really Rubbish (what else would it be?) setup "guide", coming soon...
0x

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member
Name: Jay Cooper
Car No: 17
Team: Defenders
Twitter: @Jay_ST_Cooper

Re: Setup Guide

Postby JayCoops435 » 13 Aug 2014, 19:28

Don't we already have one of these?
0x
Racing... because golf, football and cricket only require one ball.

Ratonedge
Car No: 5
Team: ATTK Motorsport - NMR

Postby Ratonedge » 13 Aug 2014, 19:37

I think it's got lost in the archives of FormulaR season
0x
Covamalia wrote:
Who do you see as your main rivals?
Ratboy, who will be going very fast but slowly.

Ratonedge wrote:also I am never racing Sedona again. fucking god awful abomination of a place

OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 13 Aug 2014, 19:52

As rattie say's, there was a thread on it in the old FormulaR thread but it wasn't really a guide as such, more a place for general setup discussion but it barely got used.

I only started on it after some chat on twitter and during the weekend where it seemed some were struggling with the car's, it probably won't be much to shout home about but hopefully it'll help some folks out.

Although i do know you know far more than me on this subject Jay, so feel free to do it for me if you want! :D
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 13 Aug 2014, 19:58

Hello garage gurus.

My Formula Masters car issues begin under braking, and end at acceleration. The initial braking phase is fine, but i get very nervous on turn-in, often experiencing understeer. Mid-corner i lack confidence in the front of the car, unsure whether it will bite or not. Upon straightening the car, i have to wait very late to put any power down, as even the slightest push of the pedal will send the back end squireling or worse oversteering off the circuit.

I prefer to have a car that's solid and dependable in the corners and don't mind if I have to sacrifice some top end speed because of it.
0x
Have fun.

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member
Name: The First Baron of Banterville
Car No: 9
Team: The Unholy Alliance
Twitter: Kimstermagnum

Postby Kimstermagnum » 13 Aug 2014, 20:16

Is this in slow or medium speed corners?
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 13 Aug 2014, 20:29

Hmm, i guess if I say both then that's a little to broard, so lets say slow. medium speed corners i can usually manage with a drop of a gear and a throttle feather and just hold on
0x
Have fun.

OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 13 Aug 2014, 20:30

ajokay wrote:Hello garage gurus.

My Formula Masters car issues begin under braking, and end at acceleration. The initial braking phase is fine, but i get very nervous on turn-in, often experiencing understeer. Mid-corner i lack confidence in the front of the car, unsure whether it will bite or not. Upon straightening the car, i have to wait very late to put any power down, as even the slightest push of the pedal will send the back end squireling or worse oversteering off the circuit.

I prefer to have a car that's solid and dependable in the corners and don't mind if I have to sacrifice some top end speed because of it.

I'm working on a guide thing that should work as something to refer to, to improve setup but for now try A) Increasing the Coast diff by about 4 clicks B) Decreasing the Lock/Load Diff by about 4 clicks C) Increasing the front anti roll bar about 4 clicks (it improves steering responsiveness whilst reducing front end grip, which effectively feels like "more" rear grip, at slow/medium speeds at least) and D) Maybe try softening the rear springs a couple of clicks, that might help too.

Also, lengthening your throttle pedal in the control menu might make throttle application a little easier/manageable. That's probably what i'd do at least, do them one at a time though so you know if each change does or doesn't work.
0x

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 13 Aug 2014, 20:34

In the last race, i had huge plumes of smoke billowing from the back of my car and the rear end kept feeling light and unstable. What could i do to rectify this?
0x

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member

Postby Kimstermagnum » 13 Aug 2014, 20:35

Alex, Increase front downforce relative to rear, reduce front ARB, and reduce rear springs.
0x

OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 13 Aug 2014, 20:36

Ah crap, didn't read your post properly Alex, read nervous on turn in and thought oversteer, my brain skipped the understeer bit! :oops: Ignore what i said for A) and do the opposite, decrease the coast diff, by maybe a couple of clicks to begin with!
0x

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member

Postby Kimstermagnum » 13 Aug 2014, 20:37

pyjames91 wrote:In the last race, i had huge plumes of smoke billowing from the back of my car and the rear end kept feeling light and unstable. What could i do to rectify this?

Get a proper engine. Increase rear downforce.
0x

OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 13 Aug 2014, 20:38

Well, this is fucked already. We're telling Alex two different things!
0x

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member

Postby Kimstermagnum » 13 Aug 2014, 20:39

OLL1E_K wrote:Well, this is fucked already. We're telling Alex two different things!

He can try both. I don't know his braking setup/style so playing with the diff is very dangerous as I am kind of shooting in the dark
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 13 Aug 2014, 20:50

Softening the front anti roll bar will increase grip but decrease responsiveness. Stiffening it will make the car more responsive but you'll be more prone to understeer when accelerating out of a corner, especially at medium to high speeds. Lowering the 'coast' setting on the diff helps on corner entry (I have mine as low as possible because I like the back of my car to rotate as much as possible under braking).

As for the rear, softening the springs and raising the rear ride height will give you better traction, and softening the rear anti roll bar will make the back end slide more progressively. You can also fiddle with the bump/rebound of the dampers (Jay summed it up nicely in the other thread) and getting that right made a huge difference for me.

As with most softening of suspension items though, it will make the car less responsive. Great for point and squirt tracks with lots of slow and medium speed corners, not so good on fast flowing tracks with lots of quick direction changes.

I am a midfield runner with a very digital driving style though, so what works for me might not work for you!
0x

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member

Postby Kimstermagnum » 13 Aug 2014, 21:07

Dan 7horn wrote:Lowering the 'coast' setting on the diff helps on corner entry (I have mine as low as possible because I like the back of my car to rotate as much as possible under braking).

As with most softening of suspension items though, it will make the car less responsive. Great for point and squirt tracks with lots of slow and medium speed corners, not so good on fast flowing tracks with lots of quick direction changes.

The danger of lowering the coast too much is if your initial braking input is high and you have an earlier turn in you will hate a lower coast setting.

The dampers are all to do with balance. Try and achieve that with a good aero balance. Those 2 are linked.

I find I have a slower inputs with the steering so with a fairly sharp steering responsiveness setting I can run a softer car and not really notice any deficiency with the responsiveness in the car. Then I get good turn in and all is well.
0x

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member

Postby JayCoops435 » 14 Aug 2014, 09:40

OLL1E_K wrote:As rattie say's, there was a thread on it in the old FormulaR thread but it wasn't really a guide as such, more a place for general setup discussion but it barely got used.

I only started on it after some chat on twitter and during the weekend where it seemed some were struggling with the car's, it probably won't be much to shout home about but hopefully it'll help some folks out.

Although i do know you know far more than me on this subject Jay, so feel free to do it for me if you want! :D

If you have one already started mate then crack on. If you need any help with though, give us a shout. ;)
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 25 Aug 2014, 12:56

can someone just, you know, put their setup file on the ftp or something? i'm at my wits end trying to get this thing to go round Vara. fucking... understeer, just doesnt go round corners. i slow up any more and it'll be pointless even trying.
0x
Have fun.

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member

Postby JayCoops435 » 25 Aug 2014, 13:03

ajokay wrote:can someone just, you know, put their setup file on the ftp or something? i'm at my wits end trying to get this thing to go round Vara. fucking... understeer, just doesnt go round corners. i slow up any more and it'll be pointless even trying.

I'll send mine through to you once I've finished working on it. Will probably make a start on it today rather than wait til the end of next week as it is Vara.
0x

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 25 Aug 2014, 20:19

I've had to significantly change my setup for every race so far. I've not been able to find a neutral setup that i can take from track to track.
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 25 Aug 2014, 20:51

Same. My Magny-Cours setup was an evolution of my Estoril setup, which was an evolution of my Algarve setup. The car feels totally different from one track to another.
0x

OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 25 Aug 2014, 21:00

Sorry i've let this slide, i'll have to get back on to it and finish it off. Generally i start with the base setups which aren't too bad, then work from there trying to improve. I've picked up a few common traits that improve the car regardless of circuit but i suspect that'll be different for Vara.
0x

blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 25 Aug 2014, 21:44

For Vara practice we've done before, I used the base setup. Majority of the time found was by just driving the circuit. I liked how the car felt at Magny-Cours so I'm going to keep that setup on and see how it goes. The [Track Name] setups are very good for a starting platform, make sure you load it up in the setup menu, as a default one is always used primarily on the cars when you first go into a lobby.
0x

Smidgey
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Rich Smith
Car No: 81
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Smidgey87
Twitter: Smidgey87

Postby Smidgey » 25 Aug 2014, 23:03

There's a pretty decent set up guide over at Race Depsrtment if people need something to go off in the meantime. It's focused on GT/Tourers but the principles are mostly the same.
For Vara I'm thinking of sticking with the base setup as I'm not sure where to start improving it. It's stable, quick enough through the straights and has plenty of turn in for all but two of the corners.
0x