• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

Event 2 - Showdown in Sepang - Role Call & Race Discussion

All discussion regarding Really Rubbish Racing's second year-long season of 2-hour Endurance GT races, GEARS.
blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Re: Event 2 - Showdown in Sepang - Role Call & Race Discussi

Postby blairy20 » 19 Sep 2014, 08:29

I feel I've nailed using the chase cam, can't be all that bad with the results I've had. No doubt if I'd been using cockpit, I would of been involved in multiple accidents.

In race 07, I often have to change the angle of the camera to suit the car, or because the default angle is ridiculously low or too far back etc.
0x

MasterOntWolf
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Robert Covey
Car No: 43
Team: Howler Racing
Steam ID: MasterOntWolf
Twitter: @MasterOntWolf

Postby MasterOntWolf » 20 Sep 2014, 16:58

Just wondering if anyone has plans for some practice today. Wouldn't mind doing some online laps with others before tomorrows event. Got in some the other day which was fun and educational showing I need a little better accel and top speed as Bye_jr kept pushing me down the back and front straight.
0x
We will rEgAin our righTful place above Team Penguin.
If you're not using a wheel and peddles your gaming, not sim racing.

jims709
Pleb Club Gold Member
Car No: 91
Team: Tropico Motorsport
Steam ID: jims709

Postby jims709 » 20 Sep 2014, 17:15

I'm going to do some practice this evening from now. Playing from somewhere else than before so need to make sure connection is okay.
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 20 Sep 2014, 17:23

I did three and a half laps this afternoon so I am now fully prepared.
0x

D0n M4730
Car No: 85
Team: Team Diablo/PSP Motorsports
Twitter: @D0n_M4730

Postby D0n M4730 » 20 Sep 2014, 18:24

After a very quick check I can confirm that I can at the very least connect to the server from where I am now.

I don't think I'll race tomorrow but I might just gatecrash the practice session to see how my connection fares when there are other people around.
0x

OLL1E_K
Twitter: @OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 20 Sep 2014, 19:10

This may or may not be of help to people (although preferable not Liam/Kimster/James), but here's a lap of Sepang. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD3NcFfue_M
0x

D0n M4730

Postby D0n M4730 » 21 Sep 2014, 14:58

I've got more done this weekend than I was expecting, so I think, connection pending, that I'm going to have a crack at participating in this race. I'll definitely be online for the practice session and I'll see how that goes.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 21 Sep 2014, 15:06

Remember qualifying starts at 6:30pm BST for 1 hour.
0x
Have fun.

D0n M4730

Postby D0n M4730 » 21 Sep 2014, 15:08

ajokay wrote:Remember qualifying starts at 6:30pm BST for 1 hour.

That's OK, gives me an extra hour to work with ;).
0x

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member
Name: The First Baron of Banterville
Car No: 9
Team: The Unholy Alliance
Twitter: Kimstermagnum

Postby Kimstermagnum » 21 Sep 2014, 17:22

Out
0x

burwellian
Car No: 721
Team: Argosport & Kaibutsu
Steam ID: burwellian
Twitter: @ArgonautRacing

Postby burwellian » 21 Sep 2014, 18:08

I'm home but I'd be falling asleep at the wheel. Out.
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 21 Sep 2014, 19:45

Qualified better than I thought I would and somehow found myself in 5th after the first lap. Had no straight line speed though and people started streaming past me; then I hit Pete at the final corner. Sorry about that. Had a good battle with Dave for a couple of laps but couldn't get close in the main braking zones and then I made some mistakes and dropped back. Completely failed at using manual pitstop, had good pace afterwards but I just got bored at half distance, so I smashed into the wall and left. I don't think I'll bother with any more of these.
0x

RaceProUK
Name: Dave Morley
Car No: 149
Team: Red Scarf Racing
Wiki Page: RaceProUK
Steam ID: RaceProUK
Twitter: RaceProUK

Postby RaceProUK » 21 Sep 2014, 20:50

[raikkonen]
I qualified near the back and got a good start but got caught in an accident when someone started badly but I got no damage so carried on with OK pace until I needed to pit for new tyres and I did that two more times and I finished the race and scored a point and my team-mate got a podium which is good for the team
[/raikkonen]
0x

MasterOntWolf
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Robert Covey
Car No: 43
Team: Howler Racing
Steam ID: MasterOntWolf
Twitter: @MasterOntWolf

Postby MasterOntWolf » 21 Sep 2014, 21:00

Par for the course day for me. Qualified at the back of the pack, got caught up in the starting crash receiving damage (Nothing fixable in the pits). Kept going and my usual bad braking, bad apex, and to early throttle spins and slides kept me there the entire race. Wasn't going to quit though and pushed on picking up 12th place finish after others retired and left the game. oh well there is always the next event to run, now to get back on track with formula cars for the special and next FMR2 event.

**** I got through a race with out having contact with Campbell so that was a good thing. :)
0x
We will rEgAin our righTful place above Team Penguin.
If you're not using a wheel and peddles your gaming, not sim racing.

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team
Name: Campbell Wallis
Car No: 64
Team: Kaibutsu Racing
Steam ID: camp_bell
Twitter: camp__bell

Postby camp_bell » 21 Sep 2014, 21:05

Woo! I knew I had decent pace in this car on this track, but I never expected that.

Quali
Set a 2:00.7 fairly early on and nearly beat it a couple of times, but I doubt I'd have found the half second to Liam. Still, best ever lap by some margin.

Race
Avoided the chaos behind and a survived close shave with a Tropico at turn 4. From there, I was able to pull away from Kroffie behind while gradually being dropped by the top 3. About 30 minutes in, I noticed that I was gaining on James, and a couple of mistakes from him later I was ahead, coming out of the pits about 5 seconds in front.

That pattern pretty much repeated throughout the race, with James having more outright speed but me being faster (or at least making fewer mistakes) as the tyres got old. After he fell behind the leaders I knew I just had to make it to the finish, and that I did so without being lapped is a bonus. 3rd and unlapped, never expected that!

Properly pleased with that. Bring on Kylami!
0x
"He's rolled the car at Dunlop. How has he managed that? I'm genuinely impressed." - Kyran 28/4/18 (on the SRC stream)
"You actually kickflipped at the chicane. Whis is this something you're good at?" - Kyran 4/2/19

D0n M4730

Postby D0n M4730 » 21 Sep 2014, 21:10

Well it was good to be back although I'm not entirely convinced that the last 3 hours were the most constructive use of my time. I'm pleased that my connection here works OK though so that bodes well for my future participation.

Only decided this afternoon that I was going to do the race so was coming into this with no practice at all, although based on previous form I wouldn't have expected to be on the pace anyway.

After the opening laps it was a pretty lonely race for me. I thought at one point I might end up close to Dave at the end but my pitstop strategy was non-existent and after I emerged from what was meant to be my final stop I was about 10s behind him, which grew to 15 over the course of a few laps. At that point I decided that there wasn't a race on so I made an extra pitsop for tyres just so the car would be driveable at the end of the race.
0x

OLL1E_K
Twitter: @OLL1E_K

Postby OLL1E_K » 21 Sep 2014, 21:19

Well, that was pretty tense. Actually a little gutted to finish just behind Liam, blew an 8 second lead during the middle stint, after a spin thanks to accidentally shifting down to first at the final hairpin, before over driving and destroying my tires in the final stint. Some good racing was had though.

Congrats to everyone who finished, another congrats to Liam on the win, faultless driving for two hours, bloody well done chap! Not to mention a hearty congrats to Campbell on his podium, really chuffed for you, mega drive! Should also say, cheers to anyone i lapped, all the lappies were very generous and made life very easy.

Onwards and upwards.
0x

TommyWTF1
Original 8
Car No: 33
Team: The Indypendables
Steam ID: TommyWTF1
Twitter: TommyWTF1

Postby TommyWTF1 » 21 Sep 2014, 21:26

Sadly I lost out loads at the start and it dropped me to the back and I pretty much thought it was game over.

Similar to the race before I was on a similar pace to Alex but he was already 20 seconds ahead and it remained that way until the first stops.

Decided to go full retard and do a one stop and somehow, it worked (despite having 10% on my tyres before my only stop)

I came out ahead and tried to stay ahead of Pete. I was within five minutes of making it work. If I hadn't have gone off it'd have gone down to the final lap too which was pretty mega.

Think I'll get a wheel as two hours is a long, long time when you're driving on your own. A wheel would make it fun though.
0x

Bye_Jr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Tom White
Car No: 25
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Bye_Jr
Twitter: @Bye_Jr

Postby Bye_Jr » 21 Sep 2014, 21:52

Quali

Decent-ish lap, good enough for p5 and it was a PB, so that'll do.

Race

Disaster! After the practice sessions I felt good about the race... until my pedals didn't work at the start. Got hit by half the field and ended up stone dead last. After that, it was just a case of chasing through the pack and hoping for the best. Slowly made my way back into a decent position with some good moves into turn 4 on Tommy & Matt on like lap 3, and then Matt and Wolf two laps later. Ended up about thirteen seconds behind Kroffie after the first stops, and set about trying to chase him down but ended up dropping it a couple times and extending the gap. I'd also overfuelled my car, so made the decision to switch to a 3 stop rather than stick on the 2. Pitted again at about lap 30 for fresh tyres to attempt to hack at his lead. Managed to chip away at it, and then pulled out a 20s lead after he pitted for his second stop. On lap 48 I stopped for a quick splash&dash, and came out of the pits 25s behind with about 10 laps to go. Drove as hard as I could but ultimately ran out of laps and finished p6 10 seconds behind.
0x

Really Rubbish Racing's Second Fastest Driver In Really Real Life 2k15

Smidgey
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Rich Smith
Car No: 81
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Smidgey87
Twitter: Smidgey87

Postby Smidgey » 22 Sep 2014, 06:19

Qualified smack bang in the middle of the field. Was running ok until I pitted. Came out, took the limiter off and the engine went pop. Waste of time really.
0x

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 22 Sep 2014, 09:25

I think I made a bit of a breakthrough with my braking this week. Loads better :D

Qualifying
I did about half an hour practice before the event so I was surprised to find myself in the Alex/Dan/Tommy battle. Shame to get pipped by Alex towards the end of the session but way better than the last row I was expecting :)

Race
The start crash happened right in front of me so I was up to 6th by turn one. I spent the rest of the race in the second half of the points with Alex in close company for most of the night. He got back in front of me twice using the undercut but both times I managed to reel him back in and pass him. A rare treat.

Interest in the final stint was kept up by Tommy's ambitious one-stopper, which left me 20 seconds behind him after my final stop, but on fresher tyres. Chased him down and got him with about five minutes to go - strangely reminiscent of catching him when he tried to finish an F1 race with a puncture at the very same track a few years back.

7th.

Pretty happy with my drive considering I somehow messed up my first pitstop and filled the tank to the brim. :lol:
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 22 Sep 2014, 12:11

Race Results and Championship tables have been updated.

Some entry list image gallery photos still need filling out, so please do so if your car is missing

Last night was tough. The Audi was really difficult to drive. I need to learn how to set up a car if I plan to enjoy these races into the future. As with the Masters car I have zero confidence through the corners and on acceleration.

I qualified about where I expected to but got caught in the startline melee and dropped to second last. Made a couple of places back but once the tyres went off the car was very difficult to get a decent lap out of, often having to drop an extra gear at many of the corners just to avoid understeer. Most of the race was spent on Pete's bumper but after half-arsed my pit strategy I was left with a very long 3rd stint. I spun several times in the last few laps which ultimately put me over a minute behind Pete and Tommy for 9th.
0x
Have fun.

blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 22 Sep 2014, 15:18

Heard Ollie was doing 2m00s as part of a race stint so I was hoping for just a podium. Pleasantly surprised to get very close to the sub 2min lap but made a couple of mistakes during the Quali run. 3rd.

Made an okay start and saw the remnants of the start crash. Reminded me to take it easy at the start and slotted next to James but I couldn't get enough tow from Ollie. He went wide at the first corner which allowed me and James to keep the inside nice and tight for 1st and 2nd. Glad no one out braked themselves into turn 1 from the group I was in, I'm always expecting a hit from behind.

Was running close to James initially, my tyres seem to come on quicker than the other guys, so the 3rd lap James pulled a little gap to which I responded, he then went wide later around the lap or the next one but unfortunately couldn't keep Ollie behind. At this point I was expecting Ollie to catch me pretty quickly but I was managing the pace well with laps in the 2m01s and pulled the gap out to just a little over two seconds.

By lap 13/14 the tyres were really starting to struggle and I needed to find a rhythm to keep them going whilst keeping the pace up, Ollie had brought the gap down to a second by now and was in hunting mode. I was hoping he may of tried to pit early and possibly go on a three stop, but he knows what he's doing. So that decided my strategy for me, I had to make a 2 stop work. Pitted on lap 20 together. Where he had a better stop and came out with a 3/4 second lead.

Over the next couple of laps I brought it down below 2 seconds but I couldn't get much closer and thought I was eating the tyres too quickly so I went into 'late stint' mode to try and look after them. Only problem was Ollie was in front so I couldn't hold him back as I had in the previous stint. The gap had risen and steadied at 8 seconds around three quarters through the stint, this is when Ollie made a mistake at the final corner bringing the gap down to 4 seconds, he then made another slight error at the first corner of lap 38 and I was able to pounce on that one and take the lead again. Ollie then pitted at the end of the lap.

I knew I had to go longer as I was still doing decent times and I wanted to prolong the last stop in any case. Think I have up the stint on lap 41, the previous three tours I was doing calculations. How many laps will it be? How much fuel will I have left when I pit? So how much will I really need to put in? Complete mindfuck doing that, changing the pit preset and trying not to lose too much time to Ollie on fresher tyres.

I came out a little closer than I was before he went in, around 2 seconds so I knew I could get close in the next couple of laps, as I closed a similar gap previously. This is the part I don't remember too much of, too much concentration and adrenaline I suppose. I do remember we were close on a couple of occasions, most notably just after the second sector split. I got a nose ahead and left space for Ollie on the inside, thought I could make it stick around the outside of the fast left hander but we made a little contact and I was into the gravel momentarily.

I was really enjoying the chase. I could see he would let the car slide a little into the hairpins so i was hoping for an easy pass if it went wrong for him again, wasn't going to happen that way though. I was able to get a run on him using the tow to keep close at the final hairpin, so I took it easy around the final turn of lap 50(?) and really nailed the exit onto the main straight. I was indecisive of which way to go, and then I made my mind up. Providing Ollie stayed to the middle, I was going to position my car slightly the left of his, creating a dummy dummy. Was I going to go on the inside? Or sling it around the outside? With Ollie still coming to the left slightly for the racing line, I switched to the inside as late as I felt I could without being too aggressive.

I had to properly slam down though the gears and I was comfortable going down to first for the slower corners, this allowed me to make it stick. Normally if I'd gone down into second, the back end would slide a little and I couldn't get on the power as quickly, so found going to first would actually be better and stabilise the car more. I then covered the inside for turn 2. From there I tried to bolt it but keeping the first stint in mind. Managed a small gap of around 2 seconds and Ollie (obviously) caught me a little in the closing stages. 1st.

Last night was an absolutely belter of a 2 hour race. Separated by no more than 8 seconds at any one point, and an average of probably no more than 2. I've never been so on edge for that amount of time, so thanks to Ollie for that. A shame that James had his mishaps, as I knew he was slightly faster than me from testing. Also a fantastically well done to Campbell. An added thanks to everyone, making it enjoyable to race around with the chat and what not.

*It's a hollow victory though, as Kimster would of inevitably won.

EDIT: Keeping my run of winning in every season I've participated in. Happy.
0x

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 23 Sep 2014, 09:50

Well done to everyone of course. I'm just disappointed with my race. My brakes became unpredictable deep into my stints and I kept running deep as a result. One lap they would be fine and another they would do absolutely nothing. I nearly eliminated Campbell at one point because of that. It became impossible to judge braking zones. Very odd.
0x