• 31/05/2020 RRTCR4: Loch Drummond Long | 07/06/2020 MEARS V: Yahuarcocha | 21/06/2020 Bon Anniversaire Neuf

Event 6 - GEARS Green Hell - Roll Call & Discussion

All discussion regarding Really Rubbish Racing's second year-long season of 2-hour Endurance GT races, GEARS.
pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Re: Event 6 - GEARS Green Hell - Roll Call & Discussion

Postby pyjames91 » 18 May 2015, 12:59

That proved to be more eventful than it would appear.

My Pole Lap: https://youtu.be/QigCbSSfw5g

Quali: Got out as quick as possible for a clear track but set a mediocre time compared to what i'd done before. Then i bizarrely had difficulty finding clear space for the rest of the session and managed to get a second clean lap in with about 15 minutes to go to luckily get me pole as Kimster was quicker over one lap.

Race: My plan was always a 1 stop, however I worked out about 10 minutes into the first stint that i had underfueled, so i was short shifting at 6000rpm and lifting and coasting, desperate to reach half way as i didn't want to end the race on hugely worn tyres. I was also dropped into the race with an engine on 40%. The opening two laps lost me about 4% on my engine so for the rest of the race, i was frantically trying to put as little stress through the motor as possible. If my engine was ever to blow again, this was the last race I wanted it to happen in.

Kimster jumped me on the pitstops by the tiniest of tiny margins, as i had to put in more fuel than him. I was about an inch behind, trundling down the pitlane. I managed to get past on the GP circuit after he made a mistake and we stayed very close together on track up until he disconnected with about 50 minutes to go. I had a huge lead but it was so intense trying to keep concentration and not crash whilst hotlapping but i managed to hold on for my first and no doubt last championship win.
0x

Bye_Jr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Tom White
Car No: 25
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Bye_Jr
Twitter: @Bye_Jr

Postby Bye_Jr » 18 May 2015, 15:26

Fair play to you James, you deserve both the win and the championship. No idea how you were that fast, but there we go! Not taking anything away from you but it's a shame Ollie wasn't around, because that would have been pretty epic.

My race was over soon as I binned it at the end of the first lap, really. Wanted to salvage something but didn't really have the pace, and when I fucked my fuel stop it was pretty much game over.
0x

Really Rubbish Racing's Second Fastest Driver In Really Real Life 2k15

blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 18 May 2015, 15:31

First of many, you mean. 8-)

Well done old boy!

ajokay wrote:Anyway, an enjoyable second season of GEARS. Leaves a big question mark over what the next season will be like. Which format, which cars, and which game?

WEC?
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 18 May 2015, 16:29

Classic 50s/60s GT/Sportscars on historic road courses. Old Spa, the Targa Florio, Dundrod, Charade, Pescara...
0x

TommyWTF1
Original 8
Car No: 33
Team: The Indypendables
Steam ID: TommyWTF1
Twitter: TommyWTF1

Postby TommyWTF1 » 18 May 2015, 17:06

blairy20 wrote:First of many, you mean. 8-)

Well done old boy!

ajokay wrote:Anyway, an enjoyable second season of GEARS. Leaves a big question mark over what the next season will be like. Which format, which cars, and which game?

WEC?

Yes. WEC.

Multi class racing for a whole season with Bon Anni in the middle would be epic.
0x

craighypheno
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Craig Woollard
Car No: 86
Team: ByCraig Racing
Wiki Page: craighypheno
Steam ID: craighypheno
Twitter: Craig_Woollard

Postby craighypheno » 18 May 2015, 17:25

I agree with the WEC idea if it can be done. I'm happy enough with the current format from the three races I did this season, but that's just how I feel. I know it isn't everybody's cup of tea but I enjoy having to be fully focused for two whole hours whilst putting up with Sam insulting everybody every five seconds.
0x

My Wiki Page | ByCraig Wiki Page

Best crash 2018. Best beard. Best RlyRism. Second-best dressed.

Craghypheno wrote:I don’t want a hug. I want three seconds a lap.

JoeNathan

Postby JoeNathan » 18 May 2015, 20:02

DanThorn wrote:Classic 50s/60s GT/Sportscars on historic road courses. Old Spa, the Targa Florio, Dundrod, Charade, Pescara...

This sounds interesting ... tell me more :p
0x

Covamalia
Name: Ben Haddleton
Car No: 777
Team: Firecruiser Racing Team
Wiki Page: Covamalia
Steam ID: covamalia
Twitter: @bmgh85

Postby Covamalia » 18 May 2015, 21:01

Full season celebrating the 24 Hours of Lemons :D
0x

Ratonedge
Car No: 5
Team: ATTK Motorsport - NMR

Postby Ratonedge » 18 May 2015, 22:47

Ginetta junior enduros.
0x
Covamalia wrote:
Who do you see as your main rivals?
Ratboy, who will be going very fast but slowly.

Ratonedge wrote:also I am never racing Sedona again. fucking god awful abomination of a place

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 19 May 2015, 07:48

GEARS has been a lot of fun in the short time I've been around. I got here late, but I'm glad I got to drive every single race since then. I got to try two tracks I've never seen before, and finally this race at the Nurburgring has been the most enjoyable. I was hoping for rain to make the car that little bit more animated, but it's still a track I can just run laps on endlessly. Great fun.

Can't wait for the next series right now, which I can only assume will be all multi class 24 hour races on Test Drive Le Mans.
0x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 19 May 2015, 09:46

What I liked about the Nordschleife race is that it felt like an endurance. Different strategy options and then different ways of going about a particular strategy. The length and difficulty of the circuit meant that being able to lap quickly wasn't the be all and end all, and we saw that drivers who could lap consistently and look after their cars got the same level of reward as those who were able to lap fast, even if they were 20 seconds a lap slower. With the close barriers, high kerbs and bumpy surface, a small mistake like missing a braking point meant greater penalties than on other circuits. Rain would have made it even better.

The longer lap kept things more interesting and made the race feel quicker - doing the same corner every 90 seconds is a lot more monotonous than doing the same corner every eight minutes. It also meant that the slower drivers weren't constantly getting out of the way to be lapped, which meant more of a rhythm and more time concentrating on my own race.

I may be in the minority but those are just some of the reasons why I'd like future endurance series to be on longer tracks and why a classic series would suit it (though on what game, I don't know). For me, this was by far the most enjoyable race (and not just because it was my best finish ;)).
0x

JoeNathan

Postby JoeNathan » 19 May 2015, 15:07

I absolutely hate the Nurburgring because it's too big.

I like Bathurst/Spa since those are longer yet still only 2 minutes a lap. I can't get into a rhythm at Nurburgring because of its size.
0x

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team
Car No: 12

Postby Icthyes » 19 May 2015, 15:39

I agree with Dan. My one and only GEARS race was around Tsukuba and that was just hell.
0x

shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Björn Golda
Car No: 10
Team: aureus motorsport
Wiki Page: Shaxberd
Steam ID: shaxberd
Twitter: shaxberd

Postby shaxberd » 19 May 2015, 16:05

Well, yes, Nords (and thus the Endurance layout to quite an extent) takes a lot (I've heard various numbers of 50-300 laps?) of practice to somewhat know it and it takes that experience to enjoy the track, I guess?

I avoided it for some time when I got into Simracing, not deliberately, though. During pCARS early phases, I often started up something and wouldn't go much further than the Karussell or even Adenauer without breaking the car. I likely completed my first laps in R07's version once one of the many RD races at Nordschleife approached, and struggled to keep up in the race(s).
Nowadays (yeah, like that would've happened ages ago.. ;)), I'd say I know the track. I likely couldn't draw it from my mind - at least not very accurately - but I don't find myself thinking "What's the next turn like again?" anymore, which greatly increases the fun (and the speed, I'd dare to say) - winding the car through Hatzenbach, the ride up to Adenauer, high-speeding to the Karussell, what seems to be endless 2nd/3rd gear turns afterwards up until Brünnchen... great stuff :)
0x
Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you, you could, you’ll do, you, you wants, you, you could do so, you , you’ll do, you could, you, you want, you want them, to do you so much, you could do anything?

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team
Car No: 12

Postby Icthyes » 19 May 2015, 16:09

shaxberd wrote:During pCARS early phases, I often started up something and wouldn't go much further than the Karussell or even Adenauer without breaking the car.

We know about that
0x

JoeNathan

Postby JoeNathan » 19 May 2015, 20:02

I've largely avoided it because of its length and this was the first time I've really given it a shot. And didn't like it one bit. Maybe I'll start to like it later, but I don't care much for the complete track.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 19 May 2015, 20:30

Once upon a time, when I was 16 and driving the Nordschleife for the first time on Gran Turismo 3 for the PlayStation 2, I hated it as well. I avoided it for many years, gradually racing it more and more during my Forza Motorsport days. I still didn't really like it.

When I tried the Assetto Corsa version for the first time, all of a sudden it clicked, and I liked it, even enjoyed it, and the race at the weekend was one of the most fun I've had in a while.

So give it 14 years or so Joe, I guess is what I'm saying :D
0x
Have fun.

JoeNathan

Postby JoeNathan » 19 May 2015, 21:08

I sure hope so! I enjoy the challenge but it doesn't seem to suit me well. Then again, I'm still in the phase of "what corner is next? oh yeah..." It takes a while to learn it and get into the flow of the track, especially for me.
0x

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 20 May 2015, 09:18

Yeah, my first taste of it was in GT4 and I must have done hundreds of laps on it in various games since. It can seem daunting to learn but I just broke it down into chunks at first. The wiggly bit until Flugplatz, the faster bit until Adenauer, the rollercoaster to Bergwerk, the uphill run to Hohe Acht, the downhill run from Hohe Acht and then the fast bumpy bit from Brunnchen. (Technical terms there ;))

Then once you know which 'chunk' is coming up you can start to learn the individual corners in it. I wouldn't even say I know the track as well as I'd like to - I still struggle with the wiggly bit up to the Flugplatz at the start of the lap - but that's the charm of it for me. And of there are corners you don't like or struggle with then hey, you won't have to deal with it for another eight minutes ;)
0x

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 20 May 2015, 18:03

I think my first experience with the track was Race 07. That was the first time I played anything racing at any length, as I just wasn't interested before I had an FFB wheel. :P But then I spent many hours doing laps in the Zonda R there.

Some of the races I've done there over the time have been spectacular. There's not many tracks where a single lap feels like an adventure, but it adds so much more to a track when it does.
0x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017

craighypheno
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Craig Woollard
Car No: 86
Team: ByCraig Racing
Wiki Page: craighypheno
Steam ID: craighypheno
Twitter: Craig_Woollard

Postby craighypheno » 20 May 2015, 18:31

I did a few laps on GT4. It took me pretty much forever to learn it, but it felt really cool whenever I managed to hook up a lap with the insanely grippy qualifying tyres. Since then, I've learned even more about the quirks of the track, especially by doing a 24 hour race on GT5 as is the final event of the main game on that one.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with really long tracks because new ones are really hard to learn. I found that out with Sierra on GT6.
0x

My Wiki Page | ByCraig Wiki Page

Best crash 2018. Best beard. Best RlyRism. Second-best dressed.

Craghypheno wrote:I don’t want a hug. I want three seconds a lap.