• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

Week 2 - Miata Masters of Braselton - Role Call & Discussion

All discussion regarding Really Rubbish Racing's 13th season of Forza Motorsport competition on Xbox 360 - the Miata Masters
DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Re: Week 2 - Miata Masters of Braselton - Role Call & Discus

Postby DanThorn » 15 May 2014, 13:30

Kimstermagnum wrote:Can't be bothered to do setup work for this and can't be bothered to put in the hours of practice the other 3 are. Inconsistent grip in the car is the main problem. I can never push. I could fix it but it'd involve using time that I do not have.

That's a problem I'm having, I can't keep even tyre temperature for a race distance. I do a good lap which then overheats the fronts so I back off slightly, but then the rear tyres lose temperature and the car becomes skittish. I then have a couple of laps of having to build it up again but then the cycle just returns to the beginning. Keeping heat in the tyres is a real nightmare and I don't really want to go any lower than 28psi (hot) because then the car becomes unresponsive.

It was ok for Camino but that's because I did a setup for that race and I assumed it'd work pretty well for every track but for the five tracks since the car has been quite difficult to drive consistently. I might just go back to the default settings for next week and see if that's better, but the default setup is a bit too twitchy and stiff for me.
0x

thescottwilkes
Car No: 442
Team: ATTK Motorsport
Twitter: thescottwilkes

Postby thescottwilkes » 15 May 2014, 13:58

My car doesn't feel too bad, its just for some reason painfully slow. Final drive is 4.60 so I.dunno if its too long.
0x

"Why don't you walk to the Gym?!"BECAUSE IT'S TOO FAR!!"
They call me Scott Sunshine Wilkes.
"Stop following me I need to PEE!"

PJTierney
Name: PJ Tierney
Car No: 45
Team: Goteki House
Wiki Page: PJ
Twitter: @PJ_Tierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 May 2014, 14:02

I've run my gears comically short on some tracks this season; I think at one point my car would top out at 110mph. 5 gear setups are more stable than 6 though because you're not at the top of the rev band, but the playoff is a decreased rate of acceleration.

The car is skittish and for the most part can be made to settle. It takes a while to find that balance though and will be different for every driver, as we all approach corners in different ways.
0x

PJ Tierney | Web | Twitter | Instagram

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 15 May 2014, 14:16

thescottwilkes wrote:I dunno if its too long.

lol
0x
Have fun.

Covamalia
Name: Ben Haddleton
Car No: 777
Team: Firecruiser Racing Team
Wiki Page: Covamalia
Steam ID: covamalia
Twitter: @bmgh85

Postby Covamalia » 15 May 2014, 14:29

Mine is geared so I only ever need 5 gears (even at Sunset I was just topping 5th). Think my tune is one of the more stable ones, (except 3rd to 2nd, dont think anyones is truly stable then :P) although with my diff being quite high I am suceptible more to losing the back under braking if I go in a bit too eager but its fine 99% of the time so I just deal with it.
0x

Twinkle.Toes.
Name: Ben Cooper
Car No: 959
Steam ID: koopatroopa14rlyr
Twitter: @KoopaTroopaFM4

Postby Twinkle.Toes. » 15 May 2014, 14:31

I haven't done much to my tune at all! I use PJ's tune he sent out as a base, and then only change final drive and differential for each track.
0x
Formerly known as KoopaTroopa

GEARS AM CHAMPION | MIATA MASTERS AMATEUR CHAMPION

Mr Flobadob
Name: Lee Harrison
Car No: 7
Team: The Offenders
Twitter: therealmrflob

Postby Mr Flobadob » 15 May 2014, 14:37

Race 1

The differing lines going into turn 1 got me. I was on the inside and Pete took a wide sweeping line in and we connected. Nobody's fault, the nature of the corner. Think I got hit up the back by someone after that so I was off into the scenery. Started a comeback, gaining a few places, losing one when Motorhead just pretty much cruised up to me in seconds and drove past. Insane. Don't know where I finished but had a pretty good battle with Pete at the end.

Race 2

Started well, got into the lead. Then Koopa drove up to me and even though I had the faster wider line out of the hairpin, he was still able to get a faster exit to get ahead. After that he drove away, I started overdriving trying to keep up. Kimster got past, I tried to repass but there was a small collision which let Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher through. After that got bored and drove it home.

Race 3

Halfway round the lap Koopa went for a gap that wasn't there, didn't look anything to do with Forza physics. That sent me into the barrier. Had a not-at-all-serious battle with Tom at the end. All I can remember.

Not enjoying this season, can't compete without the magic setup that PJ, Motorhead and Koopa have clearly found. Will probably just do the special events from now on.
0x

Kimstermagnum
Pleb Club Silver Member
Name: The First Baron of Banterville
Car No: 9
Team: The Unholy Alliance
Twitter: Kimstermagnum

Postby Kimstermagnum » 15 May 2014, 14:47

Mr Flobadob wrote:I tried to repass but there was a small collision which let Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher through.

0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 May 2014, 15:34

"So Motorhead, we'll wait for The Offenders to battle each other, and squeeze through the gap they create on Lap 9."
0x

nOc75
Name: Niall O'Connell
Car No: 75
Team: Westlander, PSP

Postby nOc75 » 15 May 2014, 15:38

Good to be back racing, but a bit of a meh evening for me.

Wasn't getting the lap times of the other guys in the lobby, and wasn't very confident (of me) in the car, so in traffic I tended to move out of the way or let people by (as I think I scared a few folk with my rather random control).

Had to take a call in race 3, but managed to sell the car, so it turned out alright :D
0x

HMR Motorhead
Twitter: DragonForza

Postby HMR Motorhead » 15 May 2014, 16:22

There isn't much the tune itself can do, just set a general balance for a track. The most critical tuning setting itself it gearing. That's the biggest variable there. The rest is driving.

The hardest part, which I think Koopa's got the hang of with his injection of pace and practice is how to negotiate the tracks given the limitations of the car. Some corners just aren't good to attack and it's better to back off a bit to be tidier through and out. It's something that without faith in the car is hard for myself so kudos to everyone who's driving well in it.
0x

MotoYeti
Name: Jean-Paul Hackett
Car No: 666
Steam ID: jphackett
Twitter: @motoyeti

Postby MotoYeti » 15 May 2014, 17:51

MasterOntWolf wrote:Race 1:

Random Grid started me off in 5th place. Got a great launch off the line even grabbing 2nd coming into the oval turn. Chaos at chicane saw me tap the sand and come out of it with Covamalia coming across the track which thankfully I avoided but dropped down into 7th. Had a brief tangle with MotoYeti but held 7th through the first lap. Tangled with Em on lap 3 moving into 6th to start lap 4. An incident involving RacePro, Ratonedge, and Bye Jr occured infront of me coming into the first chicane that still wasn't sorted by the time I got there. Tried to tell Bye Jr I was going on his right but before I could that was the side of the track he headed for causing me to try and avoid him sending me straight into the beach. Once all was said and done and got back on track down to 8th. Got a good run on Em coming to the entry to the first chicane but had to back off to avoid contact, this sent me wide letting Bye Jr through dropping me to 9th. Had a great fun battle with Em through laps 6,7,8 till I finally got my chance to slip past after riding her down the straight on lap 9, up into 8th place. Managed to get right up on TheWilksey's bumper and around him at lap 14 up into 7th. Rest of the race was spent doing my best to hold Wilksey off for 7th place finish in lobby 2.

Race 2:

With a 7th place finish in race 1 reverse order placed me near the front of the pack in 4th. Another great launch and my gearing allowed me to quickly grab 2nd coming out of turn 2. Got into MotoYeti coming into the shoot (Really sorry about that) slowed to give him back his place but Wilkesy took advantage dropping me to 3rd. Then 4th after a move from bye Jr at 7a to finish lap 1. A mistake at turn 2 let RacePro and Ratonedge through down to 6th. Made Contact with RacePro coming into the chute.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Explained: (For RacePro, Our Stewards and anyone else interested.)

First once again let me appolgize for that contact. Coming into the 4a corner both RacePro and MotoYeti were infront of me. Coming out of the 4a I came up fast on MotoYeti and had to brake and swerve to avoid contact with him (can see my brake lights in replay) at which point I had NO IDEA RacePro was beside me hence the contact. Really didn't have a chance to peek to my right either as I was doing all I could to avoid MotoYeti.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got sorted and back on the track sitting in 10th with 11 to go. At this point was extremely frustrated with comments and took a lap or 2 to settle down and back into a rythm. Managed to catch the back of the pack by the end of lap 5 getting around MotoYeti and going after Em. Started lap 7 side by side with Em. Coming into turn one I stayed wide but Em couldn't hold the corner causing me to clip her rear bumper sending her spinning off into the abyss and me into the dirt letting MotoYeti infront of me to take Em's place. Got around MotoYeti after he took turn 2 a little to wide moved up to 8th. Started closing the gap on the next pack but just not enough laps left and suttle mistakes made for my finish 8th in Lobby 2

Race 3:

Another back end finsh placed me 3rd to start. Got a nice clean start getting around Em in turn 1 to jump into first. Had great pace with the car and managed to start pulling away from the rest of the pack. If this race has taught me anything it is definately that my lap conistancy really sucks. I had several oportunities to increase my lead and walk away but wasn't to be. Covamalia had managed to catch and pass me on lap 3 dropping me down in to 2nd. Had an amazing battle swapping positions back and forth till I again pulled into 1st on lap 5 and actually started opening up space. Once again my consistancy sucked and with a huge mistake at the 10s Covamalia got past and the sand slowdown let Bye Jr and RacePro right up on my bumper. Couldn't hold off bye jr as was still getting up to speed and eventually was passed by D0n dropping me to 4th with only 3 to go. Did my best to try and get my place back but again inconsistancy is my biggest enemy leaving me a 4th place finish for the day.

A really good day of racing and again some outstanding battles especially with Covamalia in Race 3, it really is a shame you had to drop off you had a really good pace going. Hopefully you get some redemption on Sunday :)

Also a shout out to MotoYeti, some great racing mate. Looking forward to seeing you on the track again soon, may have a new rival to look out for.
Cheers dude, I had a bunch of fun, this is the most relaxed and welcome I've felt when racing online for a long, long time!
0x
Too slow for you!

MasterOntWolf
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Robert Covey
Car No: 43
Team: Howler Racing
Steam ID: MasterOntWolf
Twitter: @MasterOntWolf

Postby MasterOntWolf » 15 May 2014, 18:10

MotoYeti wrote:Cheers dude, I had a bunch of fun, this is the most relaxed and welcome I've felt when racing online for a long, long time!

No problem at all always fun creating new rivalries :)
Last edited by MasterOntWolf on 15 May 2014, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
0x
We will rEgAin our righTful place above Team Penguin.
If you're not using a wheel and peddles your gaming, not sim racing.

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 May 2014, 18:14

Glad to see you enjoyed your RlyR debut Yeti; I knew you'd fit in well here :)
0x

MasterOntWolf
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Robert Covey
Car No: 43
Team: Howler Racing
Steam ID: MasterOntWolf
Twitter: @MasterOntWolf

Postby MasterOntWolf » 15 May 2014, 18:16

So after a half day to settle down and evaluate my race day I need to revamp my post race explanation of contact with RacePro.

Original Post:
=====
So after further personal review I truly need to issue my appologies once again to RacePro. I have watched this replay from several different angles and as slow as possible to try and evaluate what happened in my contact with him. In my previous post I wrote that I was braking to avoid MotoYeti when infact it was RacePro I was actually trying to avoid. When I came out of the corner I had taken it wide and came over the curb heading straight for RacePro. I can clearly see where I try to turn left and brake but it was to late and right into RacePro's rear quarter. I did try to avoid the contact but it is absolutely no excuse. I am happy that it happened only 2 laps and RacePro was able to get back on track for good finish. I am willing to accept any reprimand that our stewards feel is required for this incident as once again it was clearly my fault.
=====

I have watched this replay from several different angles and as slow as possible to try and evaluate what happened in my contact with him. In my previous post I wrote that I was braking to avoid MotoYeti when infact it was RacePro I was actually trying to avoid. When I came out of the corner I had taken it wide and came over the curb heading straight for RacePro. I can clearly see where I try to turn left and brake but it was to late and right into RacePro's rear quarter. I did try to avoid the contact but it is absolutely no excuse. I am happy that it happened only 2 laps and RacePro was able to get back on track for good finish. I am willing to accept any reprimand that our stewards feel is required for this incident as once again it was clearly my fault.

On a more humorous note atleast I know I will have an appearance in another or RacePro's post race video's :o
0x
We will rEgAin our righTful place above Team Penguin.
If you're not using a wheel and peddles your gaming, not sim racing.

Twinkle.Toes.
Name: Ben Cooper
Car No: 959
Steam ID: koopatroopa14rlyr
Twitter: @KoopaTroopaFM4

Postby Twinkle.Toes. » 15 May 2014, 18:25

I can update the wiki page on Friday evening if necessary.
0x
Formerly known as KoopaTroopa

GEARS AM CHAMPION | MIATA MASTERS AMATEUR CHAMPION

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 15 May 2014, 19:22

KoopaTroopa14 wrote:I can update the wiki page on Friday evening if necessary.

Many thanks. There are a lot of inquiries this week, some of which may result in changes to the final order.
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 17 May 2014, 09:05

Waiting on input from 1 of the stewards before making a final call.

Just so you all know, there are several incidents under investigation, hence the delay in results posting.
0x

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 17 May 2014, 12:59

I know this season isn't anything to do with me anymore, but isn't this all a bit overkill?

I voted for this season because I was under the impression that it would be a light hearted, turn up on the night and have a laugh kinda deal. The open tuning has somewhat ruined that and I don't remember this level of steward patrolling in any previous season, let alone one with the values I thought this season had going into it.

It just all seems bit... Serious.
0x

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 17 May 2014, 13:37

pyjames91 wrote:I know this season isn't anything to do with me anymore, but isn't this all a bit overkill?

I voted for this season because I was under the impression that it would be a light hearted, turn up on the night and have a laugh kinda deal. The open tuning has somewhat ruined that and I don't remember this level of steward patrolling in any previous season, let alone one with the values I thought this season had going into it.

I would tend to agree with this. On paper it looks like it could have been a brilliant pick-up-and-play season, but so far I think it's been the opposite.
0x

Covamalia
Name: Ben Haddleton
Car No: 777
Team: Firecruiser Racing Team
Wiki Page: Covamalia
Steam ID: covamalia
Twitter: @bmgh85

Postby Covamalia » 17 May 2014, 14:06

:P
0x

RaceProUK
Name: Dave Morley
Car No: 149
Team: Red Scarf Racing
Wiki Page: RaceProUK
Steam ID: RaceProUK
Twitter: RaceProUK

Postby RaceProUK » 17 May 2014, 16:48

pjtierney2003 wrote:Waiting on input from 1 of the stewards before making a final call.

Unless that input is a tie-breaker, I don't see the point in waiting.

pjtierney2003 wrote:Just so you all know, there are several incidents under investigation, hence the delay in results posting.

Point taken, but it shouldn't take three days to get all this sorted.

I really don't want to sound negative about this, but at the moment it feels like Image when it should feel like Image, and I'm sure it's frustrating for everyone that we still don't know the final results from week 2. And on a more personal note, it's holding up my week 2 review video.

There are already people losing interest due to feeling uncompetitive; don't turn away even more through a drawn-out stewarding process too.
0x

Bye_Jr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Tom White
Car No: 25
Team: Chwaraeon Modur Iau
Steam ID: Bye_Jr
Twitter: @Bye_Jr

Postby Bye_Jr » 17 May 2014, 17:03

Dan 7horn wrote:
pyjames91 wrote:I know this season isn't anything to do with me anymore, but isn't this all a bit overkill?

I would tend to agree with this. On paper it looks like it could have been a brilliant pick-up-and-play season, but so far I think it's been the opposite.

Agreed. I know people want to emulate real life somewhat, but the medium chosen - i.e. Forza - just isn't realistic enough to warrant all of this in-depth stewarding. I can admire the intent, but it's taken too long and just doesn't work.

Forza is a pick-up-and-play game. If you were to call it a simulator it would be the "Fisher Price" simulator; not a gritty, serious sim. I'm all for professionalism in races but people are taking it far too seriously and I think that's hurting everyone.

Having said all that, personally I'm having a lot of fun with the people I'm racing against, and it's nice to be racing someone different every time. I raced Covamalia in GEARS for the whole race, and Wilksey in Race 2 of this round. It's very fun, close racing among those who treat it as such.
0x

Really Rubbish Racing's Second Fastest Driver In Really Real Life 2k15

pyjames91
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: James Price-Harper
Car No: 78
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: pyjames91
Twitter: pyjames91

Postby pyjames91 » 17 May 2014, 18:03

I have nothing against a season being serious and focused, however that wasn't the impression I got in the build up to this season.

I just don't think it has panned out I had been led to believe it would pan out is all. It's nothing to do with who puts in practice and who doesn't, the race winners deserve the win, especially koopas rise to the top :D. I just thought the idea of the season was to promote close, exciting racing but that philosophy seemed to have drifted.

My views are based on one event and what's going on on the forums anyway so I don't really have all that much grounds to comment. I've mentioned this way too early in the season to be honest so apologies for that.
0x

PJTierney

Postby PJTierney » 17 May 2014, 18:18

Close racing is what we had when developing the build. However, the car has a lot of potential and some people are unlocking the potential faster than others, creating gaps in the field. Saying that though I've seen some rather close racing in the replays of most races. One complaint of previous spec series was that with a locked tune people would "find out" everything about a car after 2 weeks and lose interest as the car no longer challenges them.

As for the stewarding delay; the reason for that is because a lot of incidents happened this week; there were notable crashes etc. in both lobbies and a few other things as well. This is not what is expected every week, merely a result of 3 tricky circuits catching a lot of people off guard. Everything will be finalised tomorrow morning.

The season is intended to be fun, naturally. However, given there were a lot of complaints about bad driving standards over the past few seasons, we have to help make the racing go by without a hitch when we can. If people get taken out recklessly each week and blast each other on the forum right after, things get frustrating very quickly.
0x