• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

Formula R Festival - Your Software & Hardware

All discussion regarding Really Rubbish Racing's first season of PC racing, the Formula R Festival
ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Formula R Festival - Your Software & Hardware

Postby ajokay » 05 Dec 2013, 18:56

As always with our racing, communication before, during and after races is paramount. You're going to have to get yourself a PC compatible microphone and headset. Before a race a Steam multi-user chat will be set up where you can use voice communications. If you don't have a headset, you won't be able to race. The Xbox360 headset and wired controller work fine with a PC, Steam voice chat, and this game. A wireless Xbox360 controller will need a Microsoft wireless receiver. Failing that, buy a dedicated headset. I bought one in Sainsbury's for a tenner. It's USB and works on both PS3 (for GT) and PC. You can even separate the game sounds from the voice chat, like on the consoles. I'm sure they'll be a cheap option in the January sales too

For the first time we will probably have half (or possibly even more than) the players using wheels and pedals rather than using a controller. For anyone using a wheel and pedals it is highly likely they will be using a cockpit or nose camera view for the best realism and feedback. These views have very limited side and rear visibility. The game allows for sideways and reward glances with a button push, but please be wary when racing in close quarters. You should always assume that the other drivers around you are in cockpit view and will not always be able to see where you are. Use headsets for communication and keep conversation race-related.

I've not played the game using a controller, but I hear it plays perfectly well, with the Xbox360 pad at least. As for any view other than cockpit, I'm not sure. I've never used anything other than helmet cam so I'm unsure how well any chase cam or rollbar cam works for racing.

As this is a PC game, and we'll all be racing on different hardware, you can customise the options to suit your setup. Please make sure you know what all your buttons do and how to access certain options in the game. Write them down and have them close by if necessary. Options such as changing camera and looking behind and to the sides are essential. As are the buttons for announcing your intention to pit and toggling the pit lane speed limiter. Make sure you know how to use the pit lane options menu and which buttons you've set to navigate it, because you'll need that if you're coming in to fix damage, refuel or change tyres.

If you're using a wheel, make sure you've calibrated it to your liking, including dead zones, full lock and force feedback options.

If you're experiencing a low frame rate, you can reduce the graphics options. You can also adjust the cockpit camera field of view to see more to the left and right of you, although doing this distorts your view in the middle of the screen.

As with the Xbox and Forza's love of open NAT and forwarded ports, please make sure you've done the same for Steam and Race 07.
0x
Have fun.

D0n M4730
Car No: 85
Team: Team Diablo/PSP Motorsports
Twitter: @D0n_M4730

Re: Formula R Festival - Your Software & Hardware

Postby D0n M4730 » 19 Dec 2013, 22:43

I'm sure I've seen a guide to port forwarding recently, either on here or in a document somewhere, but now I can't find it. Anyone else know?
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 19 Dec 2013, 23:24

0x
Have fun.

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 07 Jan 2014, 13:56

Stupid question time. :oops:

Is there a way to stop anything else popping up during gameplay? Occasionally something random will jump up (hey buddy! there's an update for your printer! etc), minimising the game window and sending me into the wall.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 07 Jan 2014, 14:11

Indeed this does happen sometimes, but I can't say I've ever had it happen whilst playing Race 07. I'm not sure if Steam just does a good job of ignoring anything that isn't a full-screen game or if I've just been incredibly lucky.

Can you disable update notifications in the programs that are likely to do such a thing? (Windows updates, anti-virus, etc)
0x
Have fun.

Ratonedge
Car No: 5
Team: ATTK Motorsport - NMR

Postby Ratonedge » 07 Jan 2014, 19:37

unplug your printer?
0x
Covamalia wrote:
Who do you see as your main rivals?
Ratboy, who will be going very fast but slowly.

Ratonedge wrote:also I am never racing Sedona again. fucking god awful abomination of a place

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 12 Jan 2014, 12:08

For the voice chat can I plug my 360 headset into the 360 controller or can I plug it directly into my laptop? And will having both the controller and wheel connected cause any issues with the game getting confused?
0x

RaceProUK
Name: Dave Morley
Car No: 149
Team: Red Scarf Racing
Wiki Page: RaceProUK
Steam ID: RaceProUK
Twitter: RaceProUK

Postby RaceProUK » 12 Jan 2014, 12:33

Looks possible if you connect the headset to the controller. However, the wheel will conflict with the controller if both are connected.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 12 Jan 2014, 12:58

I have my controller connected when I'm playing with the wheel. As long as the game knows what you're using it shouldn't be a problem
0x
Have fun.

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 20 Jan 2014, 14:19

Is there anything buried in the settings that tells the game to prioritise the wheel over the controller? I had issues with the controller taking precedence at Brands, I thought I'd fixed it but then it happened again lastnight. It's annoying as I don't want to race with a controller but I might be forced to unless I can get this sorted.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 20 Jan 2014, 14:24

I unplug the controller. If both are connected I go into the options and select the wheel control set rather than the controller.
0x
Have fun.

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 20 Jan 2014, 15:54

I've tried switching it in the control options but it won't let me select select the wheel. It shows up but it just leaves the keyboard and the controller highlighted as the input devices.
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 20 Jan 2014, 18:26

I had this issue too but since then I've left them both plugged in all the time and not had to worry about it.

I think Windows treats the headset part of the controller separately from the controller itself so if you're not bothered about using any of the controller buttons, try:

Run > devmgmt.msc
Game Controllers (or similar) > right click on controller
Look under driver tab or something else for disable

My theory is that you might be able to disable the controller part while keeping the audio part. If it doesn't work, just do the same but enable.
0x