• 15/12/2019 GEARS VIII: Spa | 20/12/2019 SE: Crashmas

RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E)

Discussion about anything related to the Sector 3 GTR/Race series of PC racing games.
JoeNathan

Re: RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E)

Postby JoeNathan » 24 Jun 2015, 09:29

ajokay wrote:
JoeNathan wrote:Actually, if you check the Special Events section, a R3E Special Event is in the works for this weekend since everything is free for that time. I'm thinking maybe we could run GEARS on R3E, if GEARS is still a thing.
There is no special event in the works for this weekend, not sure where you've read that. We sure will be playing it a lot over the weekend though.

GEARS is still a thing, we just don't know which game to run it on yet. We want to move it to one of the 'next gen' games, but each have their pros and cons. Which is what all these 'next gen' special events are for - to try them all out.

JoeNathan wrote:For sure. and if we did run the ADAC GT, I think we just have to buy one car and the tracks, which might be cheaper, I'm not too sure myself.
I don't think that will work, you'll probably need all the cars. It is sold as an experience pack though

I just assumed there was a special event this weekend since the Mini Friday was semi-cancelled, sorry about that. But I think its only necessary to buy one car since I've raced online against other GT3 cars with the McLaren, but I don't know if my McLaren is the exact one from ADAC so that might a problem.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 24 Jun 2015, 10:23

The 'event' will be Friday's mini replacement, the FUN, which you've already seen the thread for.

As for only needing the car you're driving to enter a lobby with any other cars in it, that's interesting and we'll certainly have to test that out.
0x
Have fun.

blairy20
Name: Liam Blair
Car No: 11
Team: The N Teams
Steam ID: blairy20
Twitter: blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 24 Jun 2015, 11:43

SHOUTY wrote:Gave this a try on my laptop. Lowest graphic settings and for 5 mins it was working fine, drives and sounds epic, controller had vibration. Then my laptop got a bit hot, and then even hotter and then hotter than the sun, and then it went all laggy and then I gave up. Typical. :(

My controller has vibration when just in the garage. :?
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 28 Jun 2015, 20:11

This game has started to have some serious disagreements with my sound. I noticed it towards the end of the evening on Friday, and then again yesterday when I played on a public lobby for a short while, and even more so again today.

The sounds stutters and skips and sounds frazzled and electronic, which in turn causes the game to skip frames (even though FPS is above 60 and ping is fine). It's not causing teamspeak to stutter and cause everyone's voice to sound like loud angry machine static in my ears.

Absolutely no idea what's going on, but it's making it unplayable.
0x
Have fun.

blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 28 Jun 2015, 20:27

ajokay wrote:This game has started to have some serious disagreements with my sound. I noticed it towards the end of the evening on Friday, and then again yesterday when I played on a public lobby for a short while, and even more so again today.

The sounds stutters and skips and sounds frazzled and electronic, which in turn causes the game to skip frames (even though FPS is above 60 and ping is fine). It's not causing teamspeak to stutter and cause everyone's voice to sound like loud angry machine static in my ears.

Absolutely no idea what's going on, but it's making it unplayable.

Is it just R3E that it occurs?
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 28 Jun 2015, 22:10

Sorted it now, it's an issue the game has with the XboxOne controller.
0x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 29 Jun 2015, 13:39

Pick up anything you liked driving in or on over the weekend for half price!

1x
Have fun.

blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 29 Jun 2015, 17:05

ajokay wrote:Sorted it now, it's an issue the game has with the XboxOne controller.

What was the fix?

Also, no wheel?
0x

Covamalia
Name: Ben Haddleton
Car No: 777
Team: Firecruiser Racing Team
Wiki Page: Covamalia
Steam ID: covamalia
Twitter: @bmgh85

Postby Covamalia » 29 Jun 2015, 17:12

Put simply, don't have it plugged in at all as it clashes with something and causes the issue
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 30 Jun 2015, 06:09

blairy20 wrote:What was the fix?
dont have it plugged in.

blairy20 wrote:Also, no wheel?
yeah, I have my wheel as usual, but my controller was still plugged in from having been playing SNES games.
1x
Have fun.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 30 Jun 2015, 09:17

I grabbed Zolder, Sonoma, Laguna Seca and bathurst, and the Corvette C6R GT2, and the Radical SR9 LMP2 pack. A tenner. nice.
0x
Have fun.

Sam Hill
Pleb Club Gold Member
Car No: 00
Wiki Page: Sam Hill
Steam ID: Tsunami_Sam
Twitter: @samh981

Postby Sam Hill » 30 Jun 2015, 09:51

I got each of the ADAC 2014 cars, each of the Group 5 cars, the merc hill climb thing, Macau, Bathurst, the closed top P1 car and 92 Mustang. I already had DTM 2013, ADAC 2013, merc SLR 722, Daytona Prototype, and Zolder. So once I get a better computer I can run all of that online with anyone else that has it :D
0x
"Can I drink the bread?"

"Is she (Dame Ellen MacArthur) the transvestite that wears the big, silly glasses?"

Covamalia

Postby Covamalia » 30 Jun 2015, 12:00

I got none of it as wasn't overly impressed with the stupid brakes or the multiplayer jumping issues (although these weren't quite as bad on Sunday, only once did someone entering cause the game to freeze up). Then there's the multiplayer issues in general with it either logging us out or crashing the game entirely. As I would only ever use it for multiplayer, then that's pretty bad for me.
0x

tonyandmargaret
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Neil Heatlie
Car No: 13
Team: Sgioba Alba
Steam ID: Leviathan's Revenge
Twitter: neil_heatlie

Postby tonyandmargaret » 30 Jun 2015, 12:06

I must say I agree with Ben. The physics model seems to be not as good as Race 07's.
0x
Most Improved Driver 2015 & 2017 and 3rd most improved 2016. Best dressed and joint best individual performance 2017. Cut price Davide Valsecchi for VLMS and VEC. Inaugural Reigning, Defending, Current Rally Champion of the World.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 30 Jun 2015, 12:53

Covamalia wrote:Then there's the multiplayer issues in general with it either logging us out or crashing the game entirely.
I have a feeling the one that ended our evening on Sunday night was because we reached somewhere that must have been about 20 past 11, which was 20 minutes past the time when the free weekend finished, so maybe they flipped the switch and all the stuff we didn't own became locked again.
0x
Have fun.

Sam Hill
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby Sam Hill » 30 Jun 2015, 13:07

I never had any connection issues when I was online. The framerate was crap but that was just due to computing power I think
1x
"Can I drink the bread?"

"Is she (Dame Ellen MacArthur) the transvestite that wears the big, silly glasses?"

Covamalia

Postby Covamalia » 30 Jun 2015, 14:08

ajokay wrote:
Covamalia wrote:Then there's the multiplayer issues in general with it either logging us out or crashing the game entirely.
I have a feeling the one that ended our evening on Sunday night was because we reached somewhere that must have been about 20 past 11, which was 20 minutes past the time when the free weekend finished, so maybe they flipped the switch and all the stuff we didn't own became locked again.

No it wasn't that. Myself and James were on and racing until quarter past midnight. I was even able to go to the next session, however multiplayer being multiplayer it threw a wobbly and kicked James out and then told him he did not have the content when he tried to re-enter (so it was definitely midnight our time). I didn't fancy lapping Laguna Seca on my lonesome at that time of night!
0x

shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Björn Golda
Car No: 10
Team: aureus motorsport
Wiki Page: Shaxberd
Steam ID: shaxberd
Twitter: shaxberd

Postby shaxberd » 30 Jun 2015, 14:29

Oh, it's résumé time, huh? ;)

Well, I quite liked being able to give everything a go and not having played R3E that much in recent months, it clearly improved its standing in my personal next-gen-games-ranking.
The DTM92, Radicals, DP and WTCC14 were great fun, the M1 seemed like it would join in but became rather dull after a few laps. G5's were a pain to handle but so, so rewarding once you got it (went on to buy the Radical Judd, DP, WTCC14 cars (minus the Cruze because boring/familiar) and both Mid Ohio and Zolder during the sale, already owned ADAC14 & DTM13 and some odd cars)
On the other side, I wasn't impressed with the GT3s. Somewhat enjoyed the Nissan and the Z4, but they weren't a match to AC's GT3s at all IMHO.
Apart from that, I was very happy with the FFB (unlike others) and (most of - Laguna Seca seemed a step below the others in terms of overall quality) the track quality. Obviously, I didn't exactly love the shortcomings still in the game - somewhat weird fuel/tyre calc, no option to set those setupwise, no voting progress etc.

However, as far as my opinion goes, even with those issues fixed, the game would be usable for special events at best. No custom liveries = no months-long series, simple as that. I really hope they'll introduce some sort of "paintable livery" shop item at some point.
1x
Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you, you could, you’ll do, you, you wants, you, you could do so, you , you’ll do, you could, you, you want, you want them, to do you so much, you could do anything?

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 30 Jun 2015, 15:00

I agree with Bjorn on the FFB, I quite liked it. Gave a super precise idea of where the fronts are at pretty much all times.

Beyond that though, while just doing a few quick laps is fun, it doesn't seem prepared for anything longer or more interesting. Again, weird fuel, tyre wear, etc. On top of that, the way we buy cars + tracks individually this will probably never become an impulsive racing sim for me. Simply because while everyone may want to get together to race one evening, we'd then spend ages trying to work out which cars & tracks everyone has and are willing to drive.

Certainly the only way I'm likely to race this more is if we put together more club events, or even a league in it. Since that way we can all agree to buy the necessary cars + tracks, and can just get on with racing. But with some of these weird/missing features, that would be unwise when so much better options are out there.
0x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017

DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

Postby DanThorn » 30 Jun 2015, 19:19

I'd basically agree with that. I liked it, and of all the racing games I own I think it's currently the one I'd most like to spend an afternoon doing a few single player races with because some of the cars are fun the drive and the AI is reasonably competent. Not currently deep enough for full-fledged club activity, however. Other available games, are.
0x

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team
Name: Campbell Wallis
Car No: 64
Team: Kaibutsu Racing
Steam ID: camp_bell
Twitter: camp__bell

Postby camp_bell » 30 Jun 2015, 19:30

I've long been a bit underwhelmed by R3E and the free weekend didn't change that. After several attempts, I've never got force feedback to feel right, and even if I did the content is extremely limited and inflexible. It's got far less useful content than Assetto Corsa without being higher quality, even before you get into how locked down it all is.

Can you have fun in the right cars and tracks? Sure. Is it of any standard to be seriously considered for club events? Not even close.
2x
"He's rolled the car at Dunlop. How has he managed that? I'm genuinely impressed." - Kyran 28/4/18 (on the SRC stream)
"You actually kickflipped at the chicane. Whis is this something you're good at?" - Kyran 4/2/19

blairy20

Postby blairy20 » 30 Jun 2015, 20:45

What Campbell said.

To add to that, I don't feel the physics are on par with the others. I think it's audio is it's best point. (From what I remember trying to compare to others).
2x

Sam Hill
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby Sam Hill » 30 Jun 2015, 20:53

I would agree about the audio. The external sounds are majestic. Sometimes I just sit and rev the engine to listen to it....
0x
"Can I drink the bread?"

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 05 Jul 2015, 14:10

I had two or three hours to spare between noon and 3pm, so I decided to have a proper actual race against the AI using 2 of my recent purchases, the Corvette C6.R GT2 in a GTR2 class race at Zolder. Hour of practice, half hour qualifying, hour race. So much fun.

I had the AI at 96% which in hindsight is too low. I could pull a-2 seconds per lap out on the AI in clean air. When you're in traffic though, boy do they race you. The field was made up of BMW M3 GT2, Cadillac CTS-V.R GT2 and the RUF RT12R (Porsche 997 GT2). Whenever I was behind a Porsche I couldn't even hear my own engine, those things sound crazy, even louder than the Corvettes.

In the hour race I managed to pull 35 seconds on the field with some pretty quick and consistant laps. Unfortunatley I span at the final chicane which managed to net me 3 corner cutting warnings due to crossing limits in varying directions at various speeds and got myself a drive-through penalty with 5 minutes to go. I then proceeded to crash the car at pit entry so I failed to finish the race. Not exactly what I was intending.

The race was good fun though, and the Corvette is very nice to drive once you get the hang of putting the power down.
0x
Have fun.

RaceProUK
Name: Dave Morley
Car No: 149
Team: Red Scarf Racing
Wiki Page: RaceProUK
Steam ID: RaceProUK
Twitter: RaceProUK

Postby RaceProUK » 07 Jul 2015, 10:28

*goes to do a bit of practice*