Issues encountered

F1-1 discussion
smifaye
Original 8
Car No: 55
Team: Black Cats

Issues encountered

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 07:47

I thought I'd create a thread for all the issues we've encountered and what solutions we could have. Things such as the safety car could be removed if needed and also qualifying.

- Connection Issues
- Lag
- Qualifying grid mix up
- Safety car being stupid
- Invisible walls

If you have anything else please list below and we shall discuss. Hopefully the next race won't be riddled with mistakes and issues.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Re: Issues encountered

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 07:50

As for the safety car I don't particularly want to get rid of this purely because this gave me and Tommy a really good race. However it was being stupid waiting up for me as I was the leader. I don't know what happened to Pete but he got DSQ'ed for crashing into it. I won't treat this as a DSQ, more a DNF due to crap code.

The grid mix up can be fixed by people not rejoining during qualifying, which isn't a great fix but is a fix.
0x

Butler_F1
Team: The INDYPENDABLES

Postby Butler_F1 » 10 Oct 2011, 08:49

I think the crash which caused my DNF which brought out the saftycar may of been an invisible wall, i really didnt hit that wall hard at all. I might try and stick it on a quick race and race and try and do it again.
0x

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team
Car No: 12
Team: The Indypendables

Postby Icthyes » 10 Oct 2011, 09:25

Invisible wall for me. Second time I've had it happen to me, both on kerbs. At first I thought that maybe this was a ride height thing, but yesterday the kerb I hit wasn't even really a kerb, but really flat - it was the bollard that destroyed my car.

I think in future if you're not leading and you see the SC, best give it a wide berth. I know there are issues with it beyond that but I've found you just have to be wary of it doing something stupid.
0x

Superdelphinus

Postby Superdelphinus » 10 Oct 2011, 09:42

The only issue I had with the safety car was that it didn't wait for the train to catch up, it just did its arbitrary laps and then went in, which meant that anyone who wasn't on the back of the train had to do a portion of the lap with limited throttle and cold tyres until we got to the safety car line. Was a rock and a hard place scenario because obviously usually you'd be able to weave about a bit ready for the start to get the tyres warm, but we had to rag the car around to try and catch up, and because of the mini game setup of the safety car process that doesn't warm tyres up!

Main issues overall were lag and grid cock up. Was pointless putting in hot laps on primes if it's going to put you 5 places back and any advantage you might have had is lost. Lag completely ruined my race before 2 laps were done, partly due to crashing into a car that wasn't there 0.1 seconds beforehand (it was 500 feet away!), losing the wing, and then to top it all off getting a penalty
Last edited by Superdelphinus on 10 Oct 2011, 19:18, edited 2 times in total.
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 10 Oct 2011, 10:05

Some of them can be fixed. Like the grid bug and safety car but the rest I think we'll just have to live with. It was a shame that all weekend I had been lag free racing on the game then come this race I was teleporting all over the place.

I think we should just live with it and continue the league. If my connection is like that consistently I'll back out and let a reserve fill in.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 10:23

If the next race has the same level of issues then I'm not sure this championship is worth it. I was really disappointed in the lack of finishers, 5 out of 14 were classified which is shocking!

I agree that with the safety car, make sure you back off from it and really give it space.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 10 Oct 2011, 10:36

Funny how lag often evades us when we're just racing for fun or only with a couple of regulars, but when we're all on and racing properly, it fudges up.

I wonder if if's the connection between 2 or 3 certain people being in the same game that screws it all up?
0x
Have fun.

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team

Postby Icthyes » 10 Oct 2011, 10:47

I did notice that people who were lagging were then disconnected. Of course I sympathise heavily, just that it's more of a connection issue (probably along the lines of what Alex says) then the game randomly kicking people. It might also be something to watch out for with Forza 4 as it may be a XBL thing rather than just the game. We definitely need to do some tests but everyone needs to take part in them, because it might be the person who only shows up to the race that's the problem; I've raced with Tommy and Butler no problem, for example, but when we were practising with VettelS he was lagging all over the shop.
0x

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 10 Oct 2011, 12:34

smifaye wrote:If the next race has the same level of issues then I'm not sure this championship is worth it. I was really disappointed in the lack of finishers, 5 out of 14 were classified which is shocking!

Quite honestly I would write last night off as a practice race. Pretty much the entire grid came on the forum afterwards deeply unhappy with the whole event thanks to problems with the game and if the remaining races are a similar experience, I suspect the second half of the season will feature drastically reduced grids.

We should treat it as a learning experience so we know what issues to look out for (and that you need to take photos of results! ;))

Its a shame, but at the moment I'm thinking of taking part in round 2 solely to support Adam rather than a desire to have a good time. :(
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 13:23

Bookoi wrote:Quite honestly I would write last night off as a practice race. Pretty much the entire grid came on the forum afterwards deeply unhappy with the whole event thanks to problems with the game and if the remaining races are a similar experience, I suspect the second half of the season will feature drastically reduced grids.

I don't think writing it off as a practice is perhaps the best idea purely because it's unfair to the people who did finish the race, and I'm not just saying that because I won or whatever, I'd say the same if I was one of the unlucky ones.

What we could say is that we give half points if the 5 classified finishers agree.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 13:25

Bookoi wrote:We should treat it as a learning experience so we know what issues to look out for (and that you need to take photos of results! ;))

Its a shame, but at the moment I'm thinking of taking part in round 2 solely to support Adam rather than a desire to have a good time. :(

Yeah I completely forgot about qualifying for some reason, I was a little stressed with people d/c-ing. Thanks for the support Pete! We definitely need to test connections and the like at some point though.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 13:40

One thing we can try to do to solve the connection issues is to ensure everybody has added all other drivers on xbox live. This might make a difference, I'm not sure, but worth a try.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 16:26

LewisWDC wrote:Did I affect the grid order by being dc during quali, going back to my messages and clicking the game invite again, then it took me to the lobby and i clicked ready, watched the end of quali and then started the race in 6th place? If so then I really really really do apologise to everyone. I only came back on because I wanted to spectate the race, but if this practice is causing the grid issue then it should be banned and I won't do it again.

Yeah I'm afraid that isn't allowed from now one.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 10 Oct 2011, 16:43

It shouldn't have to be banned. Codemasters should fix it. You've all payed good money for this game and there seem to be some horrible bugs slipping through.

And invisible walls in this day and age in any kind of game is inexcusable.
0x
Have fun.

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 10 Oct 2011, 16:54

Yup, Codemasters are letting themselves down here again. Its such a shame as once you get into the racing its a really good game that provides some good action.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 07 Nov 2011, 08:40

Penalties

So last night we had a LOT of people who received penalties, I think Shouty might have got one? I currently set the flags to reduced but I think from now on I will be turning them off. Obviously this requires quite a bit of trust in you but with anything up to 16 drivers there is probably going to be someone near you if you cut a corner.

Fortunately the penalties last night did not give people lower finishing results than if they didn't have time penalties.

Rain

Personally I've had enough of it and want to turn it off for the rest of the season. We've had a wet race at Malaysia and Canada, with wet quali at Monza, and I don't know about Germany.
0x

Icthyes
Blue Flag Media Team

Postby Icthyes » 07 Nov 2011, 09:12

I didn't think it was possible to turn the penalties off?

I agree, turn off the rain now. Especially with the Click to Continue we keep having.
0x

Butler_F1
Team: The INDYPENDABLES

Postby Butler_F1 » 07 Nov 2011, 10:57

You cant complain about the rain and then pick to go racing at GB, Malaysia, Spa and Canada! They are all known to have rain! :P

THough i wouldn't be too fussed about the rain being off or on.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 07 Nov 2011, 11:06

Butler_F1 wrote:You cant complain about the rain and then pick to go racing at GB, Malaysia, Spa and Canada! They are all known to have rain! :P

THough i wouldn't be too fussed about the rain being off or on.

Ha true, my bad. But I just want some out and out racing now.
0x

Superdelphinus

Postby Superdelphinus » 07 Nov 2011, 16:03

On balance, I'm all for turning rain off!
0x

Boovolari
Original 8

Postby Boovolari » 07 Nov 2011, 17:29

What? Rain off? Man up, guys!

I can see why the quick guys would be all for a trouble free run to the finish but the weather is exactly the sort of random element that gives us guys further back hope. Plus wet racing is fun.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 07 Nov 2011, 17:36

Bookoi wrote:What? Rain off? Man up, guys!

I can see why the quick guys would be all for a trouble free run to the finish but the weather is exactly the sort of random element that gives us guys further back hope. Plus wet racing is fun.

Yeah I love a bit of rain, but the fact that we've had rain 60% of the time is a little unrealistic. If we had a full season in one evening for example, we'd only have like 1 race that is wet.

I quite like the idea Ripper suggested, look at the real world weather and set it to what that is. We had a lot of issues last night with penalties and I think that the main reason was for the conditions and we don't want that many really. Most drivers had a time penalty of some sorts.
0x

Boovolari
Original 8

Postby Boovolari » 07 Nov 2011, 17:46

I admit we've had a fair bit of rain so far but look at the tracks you've picked!

I say leave it. Mid-season rule changes are amateur hour ;) Especially when those proposing the change are the key beneficiaries

There's every chance we'll rock up in Spa and have a dry weekend anyway.
0x

smifaye
Original 8

Postby smifaye » 07 Nov 2011, 17:58

Bookoi wrote:Especially when those proposing the change are the key beneficiaries

To be fair rain affects everybody.
0x