• 17/01/2021 RPiC2: Magny Cours | 24/01/2021 RPiC2: Portimao | 07/02/2021 RPiC2: Aragon

Formula GEARS I - British Grand Prix: Silverstone

GEARS 6 - rF2 - Formula GEARS
shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Björn Golda
Car No: 10
Team: aureus motorsport
Wiki Page: Shaxberd
Steam ID: shaxberd
Twitter: shaxberd

Formula GEARS I - British Grand Prix: Silverstone

Postby shaxberd » 29 Jan 2019, 21:31

It's time to kick off the 2019 Formula GEARS season! The first race, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, will take place this Sunday, 3rd February 2019!

All times are GMT
  • Practice - 60 minutes, all cars on track, beginning at 18:00.
  • Qualifying - 30 minutes, all cars on track, beginning at 19:00. Parc Fermé conditions*!
  • Warmup - 10 minutes for setup finalisation, refuelling, and bathroom breaks, beginning at 19:30.
  • Race - 305 km/52 laps with a formation lap, followed by a standing start, beginning at about 19:40.
* Parc Fermé will lock your setup once you complete a timed lap in qualifying, only allowing fuel changes afterwards

Real Life Lap

Stewarding Post
Coming up

Statistics
Available over at the live timing
0x
Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you, you could, you’ll do, you, you wants, you, you could do so, you , you’ll do, you could, you, you want, you want them, to do you so much, you could do anything?

artanonim
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Artur Borowski
Car No: 74
Team: Tekno
Wiki Page: artanonim
Steam ID: artanonim
Twitter: artanonim

Re: Formula GEARS I - British Grand Prix: Silverstone

Postby artanonim » 29 Jan 2019, 21:34

Yes! :)
0x

sin_racing
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Mark Singleton
Car No: 36
Team: Bad Pun Racing
Steam ID: sin_racing
Twitter: markrsingleton

Postby sin_racing » 29 Jan 2019, 22:39

Ah Spiffing. Quick question. The overview topic says we have a standing start, whilst the race topic says rolling start. Which is correct?
0x

shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby shaxberd » 29 Jan 2019, 22:53

Standing, whoops.
1x
Have you ever had a dream that you, um, you had, your, you, you could, you’ll do, you, you wants, you, you could do so, you , you’ll do, you could, you, you want, you want them, to do you so much, you could do anything?

KJP93
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Kyran Parkin
Car No: 93
Team: UPA/Fury
Wiki Page: Kyran Parkin
Steam ID: KJP93
Twitter: KJP93

Postby KJP93 » 30 Jan 2019, 00:21

You bet!
0x
KJP93 wrote:Wait, how the fuck am I more sunburnt than you?! You're Scottish! This is bullshit!
8x Realish Champ [5x Seasonal, 3x GEARS] | Crash of the Year 2017 | Driver of the Year 2018/2019 | UPA Boss | Livery Creator | Realish Stewarding Team

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team
Name: Campbell Wallis
Car No: 64
Team: Kaibutsu Racing
Steam ID: camp_bell
Twitter: camp__bell

Postby camp_bell » 30 Jan 2019, 08:50

Just bear in mind that parc ferme rules also apply to your tyre selection, so if you qualify on super softs then you'll have to start on super softs, which would be brave. I am in no way speaking from experience...
3x
"Out upon Merry Christmas! If I had my will, every idiot who goes about with "You should use driver aids" on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding. He should!" - Me in the Realish Christmas Carol 2020

MrRandom287
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Matthew Wheeler
Car No: 31
Team: Random Racing
Steam ID: MrRandom287

Postby MrRandom287 » 30 Jan 2019, 09:37

Lin1876 wrote:Just bear in mind that parc ferme rules also apply to your tyre selection, so if you qualify on super softs then you'll have to start on super softs, which would be brave. I am in no way speaking from experience...

Will we be stuck on the Super Softs for the Whole race or will we be able to change to Mediums (as an example)
0x
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Awards:
  • 2017 - T1: Best Individual Performance (SE60: ARSE)
  • 2017 - 3rd: Best Rookie
  • 2017 - T3: Spirit of RlyR

shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby shaxberd » 30 Jan 2019, 10:00

MrRandom287 wrote:
Lin1876 wrote:Just bear in mind that parc ferme rules also apply to your tyre selection, so if you qualify on super softs then you'll have to start on super softs, which would be brave. I am in no way speaking from experience...

Will we be stuck on the Super Softs for the Whole race or will we be able to change to Mediums (as an example)

Oh, all pitstop options will be available, including wing adjustments, damage, etc. - it's just the setup itself that'll be locked :)
0x

craighypheno
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Craig Woollard
Car No: 86
Team: ByCraig Racing
Wiki Page: craighypheno

Postby craighypheno » 30 Jan 2019, 12:47

Hell yeah
0x
Resident Jackbox host and shitposter. Now retired more than Nigel Mansell.

Mosaegir
Name: Allie Ferrie
Car No: 35
Wiki Page: Mosaegir
Steam ID: Valrys
Twitter: Mosaegir

Postby Mosaegir » 30 Jan 2019, 17:33

Starting my 2019.

Also I will have basically no time to practice for this if any kind German person wants to send me tyre/fuel/setup information...
2x

MrRandom287
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby MrRandom287 » 31 Jan 2019, 04:28

Mosaegir wrote:Starting my 2019.

Also I will have basically no time to practice for this if any kind German person wants to send me tyre/fuel/setup information...

Don't worry, I haven't found anything useful for a setup yet :P
0x

Awards:

MrRandom287
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby MrRandom287 » 31 Jan 2019, 23:05

Sorry about bombarding with posts, but are we allowed to do the whole race on one compound?
0x

Awards:

shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby shaxberd » 01 Feb 2019, 07:36

MrRandom287 wrote:Sorry about bombarding with posts, but are we allowed to do the whole race on one compound?

Yup, no restrictions on that :)
0x

zephyr
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: William Walker
Car No: 101
Team: Team Penguin
Steam ID: killfariz

Postby zephyr » 02 Feb 2019, 19:40

in :)
0x

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team

Postby camp_bell » 03 Feb 2019, 14:54

Stewarding Post

Pit Speed Limit: 100 km/h
Pit Entry: On the right before Vale. The speed limit line can be hard to pick out.
Pit Exit: Rejoin on the outside of Farm. Respece the blend line.

Track Notes
This race will feature a standing start. Be aware of cars around you on the first lap and don't try any banzai moves on the first lap of a 52 lap race. As always, we will not restart the race for an accident - if there's a lap 1 pile up that takes out half the field, so be it.

Beware that strategy and setup can make your car significantly faster or slower than other cars at any given time. Please show patiece, especially when lapping.

Two wheels on the track at all times please. As this is a modern F1 track, there are places where you can gain an advantage so please don't.

Event Notes
This is a long race and there will be retirements. If you're still running at the finish, you'll probably be near the points. Be aware of cars around you on the first lap and don't move across the track unless you're sure there's space to do so.

These cars are quite fragile and don't take contact well. As such, we will take a harder line on avoidable contact which damages an opponent's car.

As always, we will review the first lap in its entirety along with any other incidents we feel need investigated. If you would like an incident to be reviewed by the stewarding team, contact @Lin1876 or @lemming77 by 18:00 on Tuesday 5 February 2019.
3x
"Out upon Merry Christmas! If I had my will, every idiot who goes about with "You should use driver aids" on his lips should be boiled with his own pudding. He should!" - Me in the Realish Christmas Carol 2020

Mosaegir
Name: Allie Ferrie
Car No: 35
Wiki Page: Mosaegir
Steam ID: Valrys
Twitter: Mosaegir

Postby Mosaegir » 03 Feb 2019, 21:28

Ow.

Going to be an interesting season...
0x

shaxberd
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby shaxberd » 03 Feb 2019, 21:32

Phew, that could've been slightly better, but I'm okay with that, at the very least, I learned something for the future rounds :) Qualified as best as I probably could, avoided the T1 trouble and was running alright-ish in P7 or P8 when I spun out of T3 for no good reason whatsoever. That ate a few positions and tyre percentages, but unfortunately, the latter was equally true for the setup variant I got from Allie
in the closing minutes of practice - didn't check against that and paid the price, i.e. couldn't make Med-Med-Med work anymore and went for Hards for the final stint (and also had to for a 10s-SnG, but that didn't make any difference in the end).

Congrats podium! @sin_racing @KJP93 @Mike Bell

Results where they always are these days!
1x

JoeNathan

Postby JoeNathan » 03 Feb 2019, 21:33

I got knocked around a couple times in turn two and three on the first lap, so I never expected a drive for 5th was possible. Basically served a drive thru penalty when I missed my box, put on the softs, sucked, put back on the mediums and ground them down to 11% while fighting valiantly to hold off Campbell. Unfortunately for me, my tires found the cliff and Campbell got me at the final chicane. I would've fought a little more desperately, but utmost respect to you, Campby. Great move, thumbs up.
1x

craighypheno
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Craig Woollard
Car No: 86
Team: ByCraig Racing
Wiki Page: craighypheno

Postby craighypheno » 03 Feb 2019, 21:36

A promising evening that ultimately resulted in nothing. Last night, @KJP93 gave me a setup and I found a lot of time from that. So thank you.

Quali: was fairly happy with what I did in that. P8.

Strategy: soift/medium/medium/soft That third stop was unplanned.

Race: apologies for the lag attacks early in the race, looks like that caused two incidents. Oops. I was aiming for a two-stop, but I didn't quite get my fuel numbers right and I was able to do another three or four laps on my initial set of softs. After my second stop, the mediums felt awful. I then had a bizarre spin, and I knew I wouldn't have been able to get my tyres to the end. So I thought to pit again for a final set of softs. This was an inspired choice, as I hounded down @fjordnet and @lazaros18 and got both of them in the most banter way possible - by half-spinning. P9.
0x
Resident Jackbox host and shitposter. Now retired more than Nigel Mansell.

fjordnet
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Scott Søvik
Car No: 58
Steam ID: Fjordnett+
Twitter: @ScottSovik

Postby fjordnet » 03 Feb 2019, 21:40

Bit disappointed with my performance today, managed to improvise a med-soft-soft-soft but I managed to throw away a points scoring position on that final stint trying to chase P5 and P6. Ended up P11 after spinning out @lazaros18 (sorry!) at Vale on the second to last lap after trying to make a move. :oops:
0x
"You make Sam Hill sound English" - Kyran

Season 29 champion, Season 27 3rd

Formula E(EEEEEEE) Race at Home Challenge qualifier

camp_bell
Blue Flag Media Team

Postby camp_bell » 03 Feb 2019, 22:10

Quali
Yeah I can't qualify, especially on mediums. 14th

Race
Made a decent start and shuffled in behind @lazaros18, who initially was holding me up slightly but then started to get away. I thought I'd stuffed my strategy by going for the 2-stop but I managed to make the tyres last (just) long enough and didn't overthink it, which made me steady progress as the race went on.

In the final stint, I came out behind @JoeNathan on somewhat older mediums. With about 10 laps to go I started to catch Joe quite quickly as his tyres went off, but he wasn't making it easy for me. The pass took nearly a lap to finally complete and it was a really hard, really fair battle. Thanks Joe! 5th

https://streamable.com/3djvk

Really pleased with that. Never thought 5th and best of the rest was possible
1x

Lemm314
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: April Carlsvard
Car No: 314
Team: Fury
Wiki Page: lemming77
Steam ID: lemm314
Twitter: Lemm314

Postby Lemm314 » 03 Feb 2019, 22:46

Fuck
7x
"April... You absolute bitch" - Neil 15/09/2017

MrRandom287
Pleb Club Gold Member

Postby MrRandom287 » 04 Feb 2019, 02:36

Qualifying:
10th. Meh, but was on the Medium tyres.

Warm Up:
So, sort of misjudged how slow @Mike Bell was going as he rejoined and well...

And from a different angle:

Race:
Decent start, decent strategy (I think). Made 2 errors with my first pitstop which resulted in a stop-go penalty, recovered to 7th and had a fun fight with @lemming77 at the end.

7x

Awards:

Goobertson
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Mike Bell
Car No: 32
Team: Smile Power Racing
Wiki Page: Mike_Bell
Steam ID: Goobertson
Twitter: mkbmikebell

Postby Goobertson » 04 Feb 2019, 15:40

Not sure if i'll ever enjoy these cars, but even still was suriprised at the pace I had. Qually'd P3 with time in the bag, then set about completely destroying my race with my own strategy. Kept up with the top 3 pretty nicely before leaving my first stop a lap too late, taking the wrong tyres and crazy overfuelling. After that it was just a case of trying to keep a gap to Allie to allow for the extra stop i'd need due to the mediums not working for me. Managed to pass with a few laps to go to take a fairly cheap and boring 3rd, considering what happened to April and the fact I spent most of the race being the only car in the ~30-50 second gap between the leaders and 4th.
0x
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
2016 Rookie of the year - 2016 Battle of the year
2017 Driver of the year - 2017 Battle of the year
2018 Super 7 Series Winner - 2018 Lost Souls Award Winner
The imfanous Majic Mike 'Belltrain' Bell

KJP93
Pleb Club Gold Member
Name: Kyran Parkin
Car No: 93
Team: UPA/Fury
Wiki Page: Kyran Parkin
Steam ID: KJP93
Twitter: KJP93

Postby KJP93 » 04 Feb 2019, 16:38

Q: P2. Never could quite hook up sector 1 and any advantage I found in the other sectors I bled away pushing a little too hard.

R: P2. Holy shit what a race! Full credit to @sin_racing. Well executed strategy, brilliant setup decisions and excellent defensive driving! Real shame for @lemming77 though having that wheel issue. Guaranteed to make it three in the fight at the end. Next time!

I always went one or two laps too long on my tyres trying to stretch them because I thought I could. Turns out getting embroiled in a 3-4 way fight over the lead makes you push more... who knew! Luckily my optimism meant that I ended up pitting at the same time as Mark, so I decided to go for mediums at the end... running them as long as I ran the softs earlier in the race. It was the best decision I made all evening! Easily one of the greatest driving stints I've ever completed. Nothing quite beats pushing to the absolute limit with complete tunnel vision and total belief that "yes you can catch him, you can win." I didn't this time, but in all honestly I could've binned it trying to catch up and still been happy.

Lapped traffic did great as always, too! Eeeeeeee this season as expected is going to be fucking amazing!

Oh, I'll record that final stint sometime too!
3x
KJP93 wrote:Wait, how the fuck am I more sunburnt than you?! You're Scottish! This is bullshit!
8x Realish Champ [5x Seasonal, 3x GEARS] | Crash of the Year 2017 | Driver of the Year 2018/2019 | UPA Boss | Livery Creator | Realish Stewarding Team