• 01/03/2020 GEARS I: Bathurst | 08/03/2020 FRee VI: Berlin | 22/03/2020 GEARS II: Mosport

rFactor & rFactor 2

Discussion about anything related to Studio 397's sim, rFactor 2
DanThorn
Name: Dan Thorn
Car No: 802

rFactor & rFactor 2

Postby DanThorn » 09 May 2012, 08:21

So...does anyone have/still play this? I used to play it loads against the AI, often just setting up championships and watching the races and noting down the results, wiki style, on Excel. There's so many different add-ons and championships for it and the handling is so good I think it'd be fun to perhaps do some races. I uninstalled it a while ago because it took up so much space on my PC with all the stuff I had for it, but I'd be willing to reinstall some of it if anyone's up for it.
0x

Butler_F1
Team: The INDYPENDABLES

Re: rFactor

Postby Butler_F1 » 09 May 2012, 09:14

I had it, i was crap at it, i stopped playing it. I too never played online though.

Though the main reason i stopped though was because i ditched my PC and got a Mac and it won't run on here, and i CBA installing bootcamp for it.
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8
Team: 1FR / Jayvoury
Twitter: BarnabyDove

Postby FlavouryRug » 09 May 2012, 11:19

Never tried it. But now I have a pc wheel it'd be daft not to! Is it free?
0x

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 09 May 2012, 13:15

FlavouryRug wrote:Never tried it. But now I have a pc wheel it'd be daft not to! Is it free?

Nope, costs about a tenner and can be downloaded or bought on disc, but there's so many different free mods etc I think it's worth it. The 1979 F1 season is the dogs danglies.
0x

Digibull

Postby Digibull » 09 May 2012, 13:21

I was looking at possibly getting hold of the rFactor 2 beta but I hadn't even considered the original. I'll do some reading up on it. As with Flavoury, with the cost of a proper wheel I probably need to justify it all with running something other than iRacing.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss
Name: Alex Odell
Car No: 23
Team: POWA
Steam ID: ajokay
Twitter: ajokay85

Postby ajokay » 09 May 2012, 18:17

I downloaded it once. I had a race on what seemed to be the cobbled streets of a town in the german forests. There were hay bails, I was in some kind of Rover Metro type thing, and the whole thing looked like it was being powered by the original Half Life engine.

I wasn't a fan.
0x
Have fun.

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 09 May 2012, 19:22

Oh, the graphics are a bit naff, as are the fake standard cars and tracks. Once you get into everything else though, it's brilliant, with the setup options and whatnot. The problem was the AI were crap and people online were far too good and took it very seriously, you have to have a genuine knowledge of setups and stuff to compete, which I don't. Just think it might be fun to race a bit more casually...

I'll dig the disk out this weekend, reinstall it and see if I still like it or just have Rose tinted glasses.
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8

Postby FlavouryRug » 09 May 2012, 22:25

Why don't you join in the iRacing revolution, Dan?
0x

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 10 May 2012, 09:37

I'm tempted by that, I must say. Just not sure if I'd get the same use out of it you guys do.
0x

TommyWTF1
Original 8
Car No: 33
Team: The Indypendables
Steam ID: TommyWTF1
Twitter: TommyWTF1

Postby TommyWTF1 » 02 Jun 2012, 17:30

I loved rFactor. The Megane racing was fun and had a great Indy 500 race on there once.
0x

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member
Name: Jay Cooper
Car No: 17
Team: Defenders
Twitter: @Jay_ST_Cooper

Postby JayCoops435 » 02 Jun 2012, 17:53

I've got it, and have it downloaded but hardly go on it now. I had the national hotrod mod on it, being the ex oval racer an all. I'd be up for this most definitely.
0x
Racing... because golf, football and cricket only require one ball.

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 30 Nov 2012, 19:08

rFactor 2 is looking good.

Shame the video is more a lesson in crashing. Nice night and weather effects though.
0x
Have fun.

Mr E 004
Team: ART
Twitter: @Mr_E004

Postby Mr E 004 » 05 Dec 2012, 12:57

Between this and C.A.R.S I think I'll be getting a gaming PC. Is there livery editing etc. in this?
0x
ART And DUREX, Together Proving Coming Last Isn't A Bad Thing!

Twitter: @Mr_E004

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 05 Dec 2012, 13:09

Yep. You can edit the files in photoshop. Super hi-res too.

I watched that video of rFactor 2 the other night... I was a bit underwhelmed. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it didn't blow me away in the way that all the Project CARS videos have so far.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 05 Dec 2012, 13:14

Played rFactor the other day. It was good enough, but, I mean, it does nothing that Race 07 can't do, and Race 07 looks better and has licenced cars and tracks. And plenty of them.

Think I'll be sticking with iRacing for the super serious and competitive stuff, and the Race series for something a little more relaxed.
0x
Have fun.

DanThorn

Postby DanThorn » 05 Dec 2012, 13:18

ajokay wrote:Played rFactor the other day. It was good enough, but, I mean, it does nothing that Race 07 can't do

Modding? There are so many possibilites. You could do a modern GT race around the Targa Florio if you wanted!

I get your point though, iRacing covers the serious stuff, and Race 07 is good for hopping on for a quick race. rFactor occupies a sort of middle ground.
0x

FlavouryRug
Original 8

Postby FlavouryRug » 05 Dec 2012, 14:21

A couple of months ago there was an "F1 Experience" at a place near my old house. It was basically a plastic single seater with a tv screen and an FFB wheel. After watching it for a while, I asked the guy if it was an rFactor F1 mod they were using. He said "oh no it's... oh wait, yes. How did you know?!" He told me it was 2009 version.

There was a fastest lap scoreboard in a Macca around Silverstone with the winner each month getting champagne and 2 free tickets to some indoor surfing thing.

Went home downloaded the game and mod, practiced until I was 1.5 seconds up on the top laptime (which didn't count anyway as it was set by the guy running it). Went in a few days later and paid £5 for 5 mins. Beat the fastest lap on my third lap (after running off on second and standing start on first) and topped the board by 1.3 seconds on my final lap.

Won the champagne and went indoor surfing. Wiped out, almost broke my back.

That's my only rFactor and surfing experience. Still have the champagne, it's cheap and I'm not that keen on it.

But the mod was good and the game had a nice realistic but still playable feel to it. If lots of people are starting iRacing there's no reason why we couldn't give some rFactor a bash too.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 05 Dec 2012, 14:34

Dan 7horn wrote:Modding? There are so many possibilites. You could do a modern GT race around the Targa Florio if you wanted!

Race is moddable too, I believe. I've seen custom tracks for it, so I'm sure custom cars can be made too.
0x
Have fun.

Mr Flobadob
Name: Lee Harrison
Car No: 7
Team: The Offenders
Twitter: therealmrflob

Postby Mr Flobadob » 05 Dec 2012, 15:26

rFactor is great, one of the few games I'd call faultless - though I've barely played single player so don't quote me on that. Just have to be careful of tracks you download, a fair few have a tendency to be buggy.
0x

ajokay
Original Boss

Postby ajokay » 05 Dec 2012, 15:38

That the trouble with modding and racing games. So often in the past Ive downloaded various car/track/whatever mods for racers and they've ended up being shoddy at best, so it's all down to finding a decent modding community.

I tend to stick to what's already in the game. More often than not it's polished and it works. Plus I paid money for Race 07 & the expansions and I grabbed rFactor for free, so I'm more likely to stick with Race now.
0x
Have fun.

Mr Flobadob
Name: Lee Harrison
Car No: 7
Team: The Offenders
Twitter: therealmrflob

Postby Mr Flobadob » 05 Dec 2012, 17:31

Yeah with a few rFactor modders like CTDP and RFT you can trust they'll be ok but if you get ones from random people there's a good chance there'll be pit lanes that kill you or make you fall into netherworlds if you crash.
0x

JayCoops435
Pleb Club Bronze Member
Name: Jay Cooper
Car No: 17
Team: Defenders
Twitter: @Jay_ST_Cooper

Postby JayCoops435 » 20 Dec 2012, 10:51

I've re-installed this since now having my gaming pc and downloaded loads of stuff for it. It's awesome. I stand by Dan with this about the classic F1 mods and stuff. I really think we should look at starting a season on this or Race 07, broaden the horizon a bit as I feel we're very limited with what we can do in terms of ideas on Forza.
0x
Racing... because golf, football and cricket only require one ball.

Boovolari
Original 8
Name: Pete Walker
Car No: 71

Postby Boovolari » 20 Dec 2012, 14:59

Well that raises the more general question of what the club is and what it should be…

At its core, this is an Xbox club. More specifically, it’s a Forza club, with the occasional non-Forza event. I do understand it when people say, 'hey, we could race this' but its not always as straightforward as it sounds. Taking rFactor as an example, only a select group of us would actually be able to take part. Then you have to look at bringing in extra people to fill out the grid and the club goes from being an all-inclusive family atmosphere to a fragmented community, with some people who race Forza, some who race rFactor and a very small number who race both.

Then there's the issue of how much time the club takes out of our everyday lives. Currently we have 8 week runs of racing one night a week, which is generally managable. If we head to a Forza Wednesdays, rFactor Thursdays kind of situation, you have to start picking and choosing what you can and can't do, or the club becomes a burden. I loved racing our F1 series, but I'm also pretty glad to have Sundays back. I don't want the club to take up any more time than it already does, but at the same time I don't want to feel I'm missing out on some of the racing. I don't want anybody else to either.

PC Gaming is a tempremental beast too. I once briefly ran an Alfa Romeo 147 series on rFactor. In the first race, despite working fine in practice races, the Misano track we were racing on wasn't counting people's laps correctly, completely ballsing up the results. Forza is trusty and reliable, bar the odd connection gremlin.

I still think there's a lot of unexplored possibilities in Forza and having some idea of what the next few seasons entail, I'm very excited about the racing that’s coming up. Beyond that, we'll no doubt look at other options on the Xbox - Project CARS looks exciting and features a lot of the club features that Forza does and may be a consideration to bridge the gap between Forzas 4 and 5. Time will tell.

In the meantime, by all means hook up with other RRRers on rFactor, iRacing, GT5 and by all means keep a running championship tally on the forums. But for official competition, its Forza all the way ;)
0x

PJTierney
Name: PJ Tierney
Car No: 45
Team: Goteki House
Wiki Page: PJ
Twitter: @PJ_Tierney

Postby PJTierney » 20 Dec 2012, 15:05

Bookoi wrote:I still think there's a lot of unexplored possibilities in Forza

This is very much true when you consider how many cars the game has (500+ excluding DLC) and the freedom to paint and upgrade all of them.

Just looking around various lobbies and websites I've seen enough different types of race series/events that would take up another 20 seasons.
0x

PJ Tierney | Web | Twitter | Instagram

smifaye
Original 8
Car No: 55
Team: Black Cats

Postby smifaye » 21 Dec 2012, 09:14

I agree Pete. There are so many options available in Forza and that will hopefully mean that we won't get bored of the game. I know I don't play with myself anymore....... :shock: but when it's with friends I am always ready to play :?

Errrr

Yeah hopefully Season 8 will be as much fun as I have had putting it together and I know Season 9 is going to be fuggin gooooooooood.
0x